Finals time calls for study music

With the palm trees and sunshine, the vibrant city and colorful weekends, it’s easy to feel like we’re on vacation every day of the year here in Los Angeles.

At its core, though, USC is an academic institution that boasts Nobel laureates, produces world-changing research and hosts professors whose names are etched in history. But with prestige comes pressure and undoubtedly, students at USC will be feeling the pressure to excel as the semester comes to a close.

As we return from Thanksgiving break, we’ll find ourselves smack dab in the middle of the time of year when clothes go unwashed, dishes soak for days, Club Leavey’s at maximum capacity and textbooks serve as pillows.

So remember this, my friends, as we buckle down to finish strong: pain is temporary. GPA? That’s forever. Check out these lyric-free songs that will boost your productivity and your mood right in time for your exams.

“Hey, Soul Sister,” “Fidelity” and “Anyone Else But You” — Vitamin String Quartet

Given any overwhelming day of work, Vitamin String Quartet albums are my go-to collection. Find refuge in their masterful renditions of popular songs. From throwback numbers such as Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” to 2013 hits such as Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky,” you name it— they’ve covered it. Hailing from our very own City of Angels, VSQ started in 1999. Since then, they’ve released more than 200 albums honoring musicians such as The Beatles and Queen.

“Without You” and “Peponi (Paradise)” — The Piano Guys

Pianist Jon Schmidt and cellist Steven Sharp Nelson launched the Piano Guys group in St. George, Utah, gaining fame through YouTube. Since their humble beginnings, the duo has expanded into a larger collective of talents including studio engineer Paul Anderson, writer Al Van Der Beek and videographer Tel Stewart. Their first album was released in December 2011 and their second album, eponymously titled The Piano Guys, soared to number one on the Billboard New Age Albums chart. In Peponi, The Piano Guys give Coldplay’s “Paradise” an African flair and in their cover of Coldplay’s “Without You” they put a classical spin on a contemporary classic.

“Things Were Going So Well” and “Art Gallery”— Mychael Danna and Rob Simonsen

(500) Days of Summer, a comedy-drama featuring doe-eyed Zooey Deschanel and the baby-faced Joseph Gordon-Levitt, quickly became a cult classic after its 2009 release.

Couples flocked to the Angel’s Knoll in Downtown L.A. to visit the iconic park bench featured in the film. Unfortunately, city officials shut down the famous tourist spot due to budget cuts this fall. But at least we still have the soundtrack to enjoy. “Art Gallery” is carried by whimsical ukulele strumming while “Things Were Going So Well” blends piano and violin to produce a rich palette of sounds.

“I Want You,” “iPlayYouListen” and “How Did I Get Here” — Odesza

Harrison Mills and Clayton Knight describe their music as “dreamy sun trickled melodies, glitches out vocals, crunchy drums and large sweeping basslines” and there is frankly no better way to put it. By seamlessly blending vibrant sounds, their electronic mixes bring a sense of composure to any troubled mind. These tracks are also an excellent departure from the aforementioned classical melodies.

“The Magician” — Howard Shore

Movie soundtracks have the ability to transport the listener to an entirely different realm. Martin Scorsese’s 2011 drama, Hugo, brought viewers into the Parisian world of Hugo Cabret. Canadian composer Howard Shore, whose scores have earned numerous Academy Award nominations and wins, created this tune that will sweep you away.

His books continue to reach new readers every day, and as he grows as a writer, his work continues to expand both intellectually and affirmatively.

Rini Sampath is a sophomore majoring in international relations.  Her column “Traveler’s Tracks” ran on Mondays.

Follow Rini on Twitter @RiniSampath