Two-sport star Eddy drafted to NWSL

Senior forward Elizabeth Eddy was selected by Sky Blue FC in the fourth round of the 2014 National Women’s Soccer League draft last Friday, becoming the seventh USC player in program history to join a women’s professional league.

Doing it all · Elizabeth Eddy scored 16 goals over four seasons for the USC women’s soccer team at forward and midfielder. Eddy also started nine times for the Women of Troy’s lacrosse team last year. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Doing it all · Elizabeth Eddy scored 16 goals over four seasons for the USC women’s soccer team at forward and midfielder. Eddy also started nine times for the Women of Troy’s lacrosse team last year. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Eddy’s elite athleticism helped her serve as a jackknife of sorts for the Women of Troy, as the Newport Beach, Calif. native played defender, midfielder and forward throughout her collegiate career. But no matter where she played, Eddy was always an integral part of USC’s rotation, starting 69 games in 76 appearances.

“I would not be surprised if she was the greatest athlete at USC,” former USC coach Ali Khosroshahin said in an interview with the Daily Trojan before the 2013 season began. “I never have to worry about her being fit or strong enough to perform.”

USC’s season didn’t go according to plan — the Women of Troy finished 8-10-2 to miss the NCAA Tournament for the third straight season, resulting in the firing of Khosroshahin. Still, Eddy showed she had a killer scoring instinct after transitioning back from the defensive side of the ball.

Eddy was USC’s top scorer (six goals) in her senior season, ending her career with 16 goals and nine assists. After scoring three goals in the Women of Troy’s first two games, she became the first USC player to be named the Pac-12 Player of the Week since 2010.

After graduation, the No. 33 overall pick will join USC graduate Ashley Nick on Sky Blue FC. Another former Woman of Troy, U.S. Olympian Amy Rodriguez, was drafted No. 1 by the Boston Breakers in 2009 and now suits up for FC Kansas City.

Upon joining Sky Blue FC in Piscataway Township, N.J., Eddy will become the fourth USC alumna to join a NWSL team — former USC forward Rosa Anna Tantillo played briefly for FC Gold Pride in 2010 to follow in the footsteps of Rodriguez and Nick. Three other Women of Troy participated in the now-defunct Women’s United Soccer Association.

But Eddy’s athletic career at USC isn’t finished quite yet. She joined the lacrosse team in its first year of Division 1 play last year. That team starts its season on Feb. 28 with a home match against Marist.