Trojans play at Sherwood Collegiate Cup

USC’s men’s tennis team began the season with a strong showing at the Sherwood Collegiate Cup this past weekend in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Three of the eight Trojans at the weekend’s tournament — freshmen Connor Farren, Nick Crystal and Rob Bellamy — were competing in their first spring competitions at USC.

Farren made an impressive debut, advancing to the quarterfinals in singles and making a run to the semifinals alongside junior Roberto Quiroz in doubles play. Farren won his first match as a Trojan with a 6-3, 7-6 victory against USD’s Filip Vittek, then beat Stanford’s John Morrissey by a 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 score in the Round of 16. In the quarterfinals, Farren fell short against UCLA’s Clay Thompson, the No. 1 player in the country, by a score of 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.

Quiroz also advanced to the quarterfinal round in singles. After defeating players from Baylor and UCLA in the first two rounds, Quiroz fell the eventual singles champion, UCLA’s Marcos Giron, 6-2, 7-5.

In doubles, Farren and Quiroz reached the semifinals after taking down pairs from Stanford and UCLA. In the quarterfinals, they faced USD duo Vittek and Clarke Spinosa, falling 8-6.

Though sophomore Max de Vroome came up empty in the first round of singles play against UCLA, he bounced back with three consecutive wins in the consolation tournament, upsetting Baylor’s Tony Lupieri by a score of 6-4, 7-6.

Stanford players John Morrissey and Maciek Romanowicz won the Sherwood Cup doubles title this weekend, while UCLA’s Giron brought a victory for the Bruins in the singles tournament.