HAUTE Highlights

The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA

Friday, Jan. 31 – Feb. 2

Stop the presses — it’s time for Printed Matter’s second annual LA Art Book Fair. Opening this Thursday at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, enjoy this free and open-to-the-public event. Venders will be showing and selling books, monographs, zines and art catalogues from more than 250 groups of artists, publishers and sellers. Check the LA Book Fair website for a list of daily screenings, sound works and lectures happening during the weekend.

Chinese New Year

Chinatown

Saturday, Feb. 1 – Sunday, Feb. 2

Gallop down to North Broadway and ring in the Year of the Horse at the 115th Annual Golden Dragon Parade and Chinese New Year Festival. Join the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles for this ornate and colorful celebration. The event annually features marching bands and entertainment, not to mention two dozen floats in a parade traveling into the heart of Chinatown.

Royal New Zealand Ballet

Dorothy Chandler Pavilion,

135 N. Grand Ave.

Friday, Jan. 31, 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 1 – Sunday, Feb. 2 at 2 p.m.

Once the artistic director of Orange County’s Ballet Pacific, Ethan Stiefel is bringing the Royal New Zealand Ballet to Los Angeles with his new production of Giselle, which a bigger and badder budget in part funded by the New Zealand government. With plies and pirouettes, Giselle follows the story of Albrecht, who recalls the events that led to Giselle’s death by broken heart, and her attempts to save him from Myrta.

An Iliad

1310 11th St., on

Friday Jan. 31 and Saturday, Feb. 1 at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 4 p.m.

Directed by Lisa Peterson and starring Tony Award-winning actor Denis O’Hare, this adaption of Homer’s epic poem isn’t the Iliad but rather one of many. Performed on an empty stage with a single bulb for lighting, it’s a one-man show as far as O’Hare is concerned, peppering his winding narrative with music of the muses. Homer’s epic — or something like it — hits The Broad Stage at Santa Monica College Performing Arts Center Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 4 p.m.