Finding the perfect pizza

I had a recent epiphany that ordering pizza needs to be a regular occurrence in my life. Given my usual gourmet habits, maybe then my dining habits would be equal to that of the average college student.

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

I usually order pizza from Pasta Roma and Rosso Oro’s because of their proximity to where I live. If, for whatever reason, they can’t deliver, I don’t have a problem picking it up — plus the pizza isn’t half bad. But I still want to satisfy my gourmet cravings, so as a result of this epiphany, I turned to Eater LA for some helpful information on the best pizza delivery places in Los Angeles. Eater compiled a list of the best places to order pizza, but I narrowed it down to the top three that are in close proximity to campus.

1. Hollywood Pies – 1437 S. Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
    It’s 15 minutes away! “Arguably the best Chicago-style, deep-dish pizza in town,” according to Eater LA.
  2. Papi’s Pizzeria – 109 E. 8th Street, Los Angeles, CA
    Apparently it’s really good and is located in DTLA, so that’s good. Eater LA calls it, “A downtown dive with personality.”
  3. Masa of Echo Park – 1800 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
    “A deep-dish, crispy crust favorite of Eastsiders,” Eater LA says.

If time and money are an issue, you can make pizza from scratch. I make homemade pizza all the time and, as USC students, we are lucky enough to have Fresh & Easy nearby because they sell ready-made pizza dough. If Fresh & Easy is too much of a trek, you can make your own homemade pizza dough using a two-ingredient recipe from The Slow Roasted Italian — all you need is Greek yogurt and self-rising flour. Have at it.

To make pizza, all you really need is your pizza dough; standard pizza ingredients such as shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices and tomato sauce — and some sort of oven. I bake my pizza at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. After that, just let it cool and then it’s ready to serve.

I encourage you to make or order some pizza — the more the merrier.

Alegra Hueso is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.  Her column “In Love With the Edible” runs on Wednesdays in print and Fridays online.