Will Sparks performs at inaugural Made in America

The James Dean stage, one of the three stages at the first Budweiser Made in America Los Angeles festival, hosted a wild crowd atop the hilly Grand Park. Unlike the other areas at the event, the James Dean stage was specifically dedicated to hardcore underground ravers; the scene was closer to that of Ultra and EDC music festivals more than the laid-back, boho-vibe Coachella. Over the weekend, people would walk up to the James Dean stage in between listening to Rita Ora and Kendrick Lamar at the main stage (dubbed the “Marilyn” stage) for an hour or so of dancing and head banging. D.J.s who performed included Borgore and DVBBS.

As the festival goers jumped together in sync, moving their arms to the booming bass system, Australian D.J. Will Sparks looked like he was having the time of his life on stage, mixing techno beats and yelling out to his audience enthusiastically. Donning his signature pulled-back hairstyle, the young D.J. revved the crowd into a high-energy mosh pit as they cheered him on. Though Sparks was not a major headliner this weekend, he didn’t let big names like Steve Aoki overshadow his performance. His eclectic style appeals to a certain type of fan, and it was clear that those fans who knew him came for him. Those familiar with his sets from attending music festivals such as Ultra or TomorrowWorld were excited to see him again, and those who had no idea who he was, became fans.

Sparks’s repertoire includes shows in his hometown of Melbourne, Australia, as well as Ibiza, Las Vegas, New York and now the inaugural Made in America festival in Los Angeles. He was introduced to music at the age of 13 when he started playing the guitar. Half a decade later, he began mixing music and uploading his mixes on to Soundcloud, an online audio distribution platform. It started with his friends and family, who shared his music with their circles, earning him notoriety for his remixes and original songs.

“It was Melbourne Underground five years ago,” Sparks said. “I instantly fell in love; I almost became obsessed. I completely changed. I bought myself some turntables after I watched [the D.J.s] every week. I became good friends with them, getting into the studio, seeing what they do and getting my own sh-t. Then I left school, practiced and now we’re in [Los Angeles].”

Reflecting back on his start in the music industry, Sparks laughed at the time when he used to jump the fence into Melbourne’s underground music scene at a club near his home. Sparks had no connections that helped make his entrance into the industry smoother or easier. Because of this, he’s thankful for all the people who encouraged him to stick with his goals, even when he decided to drop out of school to fulfill his dreams.

“My mum’s an artist, and she was like, ‘Just do it, you’ll be fine.’ I left in year 11, just went home and made music,” Sparks said. “I was a Soundcloud kid. I started on Soundcloud and that’s how you build your following, and all of a sudden it just blows.”

Most amateur D.J.s are known for repetitive bass beats that are easily replicated. Sparks, on the other hand, tries to stay away from mainstream sounds, offering a host of remixes that mesh typical bass-heavy house music with a variety of genres, from popular songs by Robin Thicke to underground music by Timmy Trumpet and Chardy.

Most of those who were excited for Sparks or who had heard of the up-and-coming D.J. were college students. Sparks, in his early 20’s, appeals to a similar age group as his fans, which helps him connect with his audience on a lifestyle level. A laid-back, fun-loving Australian, he enjoys the social scene of people of his age and admitted to visiting USC in the past to find out for himself what Greek life and fraternity parties are all about.

Sparks seems to have had a lot of experience as he was forced to learn the ins and outs of the entertainment business himself. He applies these lessons to his own life on a daily basis.

“If I had to give Trojans advice, I’d say you just have to work at it,” Sparks said. “If you love it, what’s stopping you? If you’re actually good at what you love, if the pressure doesn’t bring you down, and the pressure helps you, you want it more. That’s when you know.”

Instead of listening to your usual pregame playlist, search the D.J.’s name on Soundcloud or Spotify to get amped up for the night. D.J. Will Sparks’ intoxicating energy will surely carry you past midnight. For a good time, Sparks’s debut album will be out soon, but his genre-meshing remixes are also still on Soundcloud. He will be in North America for a few shows as well before he heads home later this year. Prepare for the drop.