Big Sugar offers high quality dessert at friendly prices

Big Sugar Bakeshop, a Studio City bakery specializing in updated versions of classic American desserts, opened its second location in downtown on Sept. 2. The quaint bakery prides itself on making all of its treats in small batches using high-quality ingredients.

The Sweet Life ·Cupcake flavors at Big Sugar Bakeshop vary from old favorites like vanilla and red velvet to the more exotic Dulce de Leche and Cinammon with cocoa. Big Sugar also offers a doughnut muffin. - Maral Tavitian | Daily Trojan

The Sweet Life ·Cupcake flavors at Big Sugar Bakeshop vary from old favorites like vanilla and red velvet to the more exotic Dulce de Leche and Cinammon with cocoa. Big Sugar also offers a doughnut muffin. – Maral Tavitian | Daily Trojan

Cupcakes anchor the menu at Big Sugar, from traditional flavors such as vanilla and red velvet to more eccentric options including dulce de leche and cinnamon with cocoa. The icebox cupcake — tender chocolate cake filled with whipped cream and dunked in a glossy chocolate ganache — is a creative riff on the retro dessert. The coconut cupcake is delicate and flavorful, crowned with a generous smear of coconut-infused cream cheese frosting and wispy coconut shavings.

The doughnut muffin, a hybrid between two ubiquitous baked goods, is another signature item. Big Sugar uses a basic doughnut batter for the petite breakfast pastry, which is baked rather than fried, then rolled in butter and cinnamon-sugar while still warm.

Dense and deeply chocolatey, the salted caramel brownie will satisfy even the most demanding sweet tooth. The brownie contains a gooey sliver of salted caramel and a sprinkle of coarse sugar on top, creating an ideal balance of salty and sweet.

In addition to the main menu, several items rotate based on seasonal availability of produce. Named “Best Apple Dessert” by Food & Wine in 2008, the apple pie bar contains caramelized apples nestled atop a crisp, buttery shortbread crust. To accompany the baked goods, Big Sugar serves Groundwork coffee and espresso drinks.

The shop’s decor is homey and inviting, featuring display shelves stocked with a variety of cookbooks, kitchen accessories and vintage knick knacks. “With one stop, you can find the perfect cake, card and gift to make the most of any party,” Big Sugar’s website explains. Whether to answer questions about ingredients or to help you assemble a festive gift basket, the friendly and knowledgeable staff makes customers feel at ease.

While the store does not offer seating, the sprawling courtyard of the City National Plaza is just a short walk away. All of Big Sugar’s portion sizes are quite generous, making the bakery an ideal destination to enjoy with friends, either for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack.

For students on a budget, the menu items are reasonably priced yet made using top-notch ingredients. All of the cupcakes are $2.95, while the sizable cookies are a steal for only $1 each. At $3.25, the brownies and bar cookies are on the more expensive side, but can easily be split between two people.

An added bonus, the bakery is just three stops away on the Metro Expo Line, eliminating the hassle of paying for parking. For students and business people alike, Big Sugar’s handmade baked goods, welcoming ambience and attentive service provide a sweet oasis from the hustle and bustle of the Financial District.

Big Sugar Bakeshop is located at 612 S. Flower Street. Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Closed Sundays.