Tips for having the best first date you can imagine

Take a break from the frat parties and take that person you have been crushing on out on a date. What makes a perfect first date is subjective. When sparks are flying, you could be walking across campus with a new friend and suddenly realize that you just had the greatest time of your life. But, if you are desperately trying to win someone over, though, you are probably carefully planning every minute of your time together, hoping that his or her friends gave you the correct advice on what that special someone would enjoy. What I discovered in my quest to uncover the secret to the perfect first date or the perfect anytime date were the many variables necessary to call it just that: perfect. The biggest surprise was that many students don’t go on dates until they’ve gotten to know each other—the exact opposite of our parents’ generation. In my opinion, to truly get to know someone, you must enjoy his or her company one-on-one, away from the hustle and bustle of college life.

Presentation counts · First dates can be tricky business, but with the right preparation, they can be an exciting time. Making sure to be well-dressed and well-groomed is an important step, but, laughter is the most important factor for having a fun and entertaining time out. - Photo illustration by Mariya Dondonyan

Presentation counts · First dates can be tricky business, but with the right preparation, they can be an exciting time. Making sure to be well-dressed and well-groomed is an important step, but, laughter is the most important factor for having a fun and entertaining time out. – Photo illustration by Mariya Dondonyan

When I asked people who have had the pleasure of many first dates about how to create the perfect date, their stories and advice gushed forth. Individuals shared with me stories of lovely delights and disastrous nights. With that said, every retelling of the perfect first date had two not-so-surprising key ingredients: romance and laughter. In addition to those key characteristics to a successful first date were two facts about the person they’re wooing: Are they indoorsy or outdoorsy, and high or low maintenance.

Everyone wants their date’s heart to stop when they get picked up for that perfect first date. It doesn’t matter who did the asking, you want that other person to think they have just died and gone to heaven simply by being in your company. So grooming is essential, from your head to your toes. My research showed that so many people wanted to slam the door when they got a glimpse of all those flakes on their date’s shoulder, bad breath and that “sorry, I just got of bed” look. Get it together. Do the extra work. Make sure you’re ready for your close up.

Hands down, the most complaints I received about their first dates were regarding their date’s lips. What a way to ruin a great night by having steel wool kiss your cheek. Slather on the petroleum jelly all day before your date. Perfect first date lips should be passionate and sexy. Those lips should be smooth as silk and leave your date wanting more.

So what did you say you were thinking of wearing? It doesn’t matter what the game plan is for your date; both parties’ outfits better scream confidence. Even if you’re going apple picking, the farmer’s son had the right idea with faded blue jeans and tight white shirts if you aren’t into flashy confidence.

Now that you’ve been groomed, what is the consensus for a perfect date?

“Make me laugh.” Yes, that seems to be the ticket. Before you go out though, set the mood by bringing your date a small tokens of affection. I find that a single flower or a tiny box of chocolates really sets the tone for a romantic evening. Thoughtfulness is what seemed to be common on the best first dates.

Comedy clubs earn the top date spot, and Los Angeles has an awesome array of clubs. From new comics to big names, laughter is the best icebreaker and there are clubs in every price range. My favorite place is The Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach. It is reasonably priced, the food is decent and every show I’ve seen has been hilarious.

It doesn’t have to be so cut and dry. Like every great story, a good beginning, middle and end needs to be incorporated.

If you’re feeling up to an all-day affair, you can start your date earlier in the day on the Strand in Hermosa Beach before the show. Rent bikes and ride all the way to Santa Monica Pier and back. Bring a backpack with a couple of waters for your scenic excursion (30 miles), stop along the way to check out the surfers and grab some ice cream in Venice Beach on your way back. At this juncture, you know how the rest of the evening will progress. Meander through shops and restaurants, and finally make your way to the club. Laugh hysterically, even at the bad comics, and with plenty of endorphins released, head back to campus, relaxed and happy after a stress-free date.

Cassie Collins is a junior majoring in communication. Her column, “From Troy, with Love,” runs Tuesdays.