Smiles’ opens as convenient coffee option

As the former University Village sits as an empty construction site, a new café is trying to fill the the void left by its absence.

Priscilla Chu | Daily Trojan Smile on! · Located next to the Catholic Center, Smiles’ offers a quiet location, sunny outside seating, and good coffee and paninis on the menu. - Priscilla Chu | Daily Trojan

Smile on! · Located next to the Catholic Center, Smiles’ offers a quiet location, sunny outside seating, and good coffee and paninis on the menu. – Priscilla Chu | Daily Trojan

Right next to the pedestrian path from campus to University Avenue, Smiles’ Café serves as an improvement from the old restaurants the UV used to offer. A quaint coffee shop located at 844 W. 32nd St., adjacent to USC’s Caruso Catholic Center, Smiles’ Café is located only a short block away from campus.

It offers a number of spacious desks and tables that are perfect for enjoying a pastry or coffee while studying for midterms. They also serve paninis, various drinks, prepackaged salads and snacks.

The food is also reasonably priced. A $5 panini will definitely fill up any hungry student and serves as a proper alternative for other options at USC.

Location-wise, the café is secluded enough to offer private space for the most intense studying sessions. Yet, it is central enough to USC students that it offers a great place for a coffee pick-me-up or wake-up. Adjacent to the Catholic Center, the outside seating offers a great view of the center’s beautiful grounds. It provides an environment that is aesthetically pleasing with its greenery and buildings.

Smiles’ Café’s favorable hours (9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday through Friday) also suggest that this is the perfect spot for a quick iced coffee on the way to class. Be wary, though, that around lunchtime the wait can be long because only two employees run the counter. Yet, the employees are extremely courteous and friendly. With 10 guests waiting in line, they efficiently create your paninis while also taking to the time to ask how your day was. With great customer service, the café has a bright future in crafting positive relationships with USC students.

But it’s not all smiles when it comes to the food. The salads are prepackaged and not the freshest. I would instead recommend the paninis. These sandwiches are popular among guests, and the small café also draws more than just USC students.

With a diverse customer base, it offers a nice setting outside of the USC bubble. Though the hours aren’t favorable for late-night studying, this café offers ample amounts of outlets, proper AC and lots of table space for the midday homework session.

In comparison to Trojan Grounds, Cups or Coffee Bean, Smiles’ Café is a quick alternative. The lines are not as long, and prices run a little cheaper. But what makes this eatery special is its location. I would recommend coming here if you need a little space and time off campus. TroGro is crowded all the time. Coffee Bean rarely has open seats. And Cups is not central in relation to where students walk. Smiles’ Café offers a place where you can actually get work done without going out of your way.

Smiles’ Café offers a great place for a relatively cheap caffeine fix with a friendly wait staff — a perfect place for you to park your laptop and study within peaceful surroundings. They have encouraging posters on their walls, and their cheeky slogan “Smile On!” encourages students to truly enjoy the sun-drenched porch. Also, because this side of campus no longer hosts food options, this newly opened café could soon be the new coffee place. Smile on!