Week 9 college football previews and predictions

As we prepare for the playoff selection committee’s first Top 25 poll on October 28th at 7:30 pm ET, we have some exciting matchups to look forward to this Saturday.

We’ll take a look at the five most interesting matchups of the weekend, as well as predict the selection committee’s inaugural playoff bracket.

#3 Ole Miss (7-0, 4-0 SEC) at #24 LSU (6-2, 2-2 SEC)

The Rebels will bring the nation’s top defense (10.6 points per game) to Death Valley, where they’ll look to beat the Tigers for the first time since 2008. Quarterback Bo Wallace (1899 yards, 17 TDs, 6 INTs) will face off against LSU’s Anthony Jennings (1048 yards, 7 TDs, 3 INTs) will face off in a matchup of two fairly mistake-prone quarterbacks. LSU also has freshman running back Leonard Fournette (544 yards, 7 TDs) to try and wear out the Rebel defense.

With #5 Auburn coming up next week for the Rebels, Ole Miss could easily overlook this game. However, I expect the Rebels to remain focused, and continue their surprise run to the college football playoff. The playmakers they have on both sides of the ball, including Wallace and wide receiver Laquon Treadwell on offense and Robert Nkemdiche, Marquis Haynes (team-leading 6 ½ sacks) and Senquez Golson (SEC-leading 7 interceptions), should give them an edge in this tough SEC matchup. LSU will be focused on avoiding losing to both Mississippi teams at home, but the talent on the Rebels side should prevail.

Prediction: Ole Miss 35, LSU 28

#20 USC (5-2, 4-1 Pac-12) at #19 Utah (5-1, 2-1 Pac-12)

In the most evenly matched game of the weekend, the Trojans will look to build on last week’s 56-28 over Colorado, while the Utes are coming off a 29-23 overtime win over Oregon State. Each team has their strengths that could change the tide of the match. The USC offense, led by quarterback Cody Kessler (1884 yards, 18 TDs, 1 INT), running back Buck Allen (1199 total yards, 9 total TDs), and wide receiver Nelson Agholor (533 yards, 7 TDs), has looked much more consistent in recent weeks, and is always a threat to put up points. They’ll be tested against Utah’s strong defensive front, which leads the nation with 33 sacks.

The biggest issue, however, could be the Utah passing attack, which will be split between starter Travis Wilson (833 yards, 7 TDs, 0 INTs) and backup Kendall Thompson (465 total yards, 3 total TDs, 2 INTs). Neither has been able to put up big numbers in the air, and they’ll take on a USC secondary that leads the Pac-12 with 9 interceptions. They can both pick up yards with their legs, but the lack of a passing game could spell trouble for Utah. The Utes’ impressive defensive front and special teams should keep the game competitive but, in the end, the Trojans have enough weapons to leave Utah with a win.

Prediction: USC 31, Utah 27

#1 Mississippi State (6-0, 3-0 SEC) at Kentucky (5-2, 2-2 SEC)

After a stretch of three consecutive top-10 SEC opponents (#8 LSU, #6 Texas A&M, #2 Auburn), the Bulldogs have had a bye week to prepare for an unranked Wildcats team for their first game as the #1 team in the nation. The Wildcats are enjoying a bounce-back season, as they’re only a win away from bowl eligibility after going 2-10 (0-8 SEC) last year. However, they’ve earned their five wins against weaker opponents, with their best win a 45-38 victory over an under-performing South Carolina team, and they’re coming off a 41-3 loss to LSU.

The match against Kentucky has a chance to be a letdown game for the Bulldogs, as they’ll face additional pressure as the nation’s #1, plus the Wildcats are their first unranked opponent since September 13th. That being said, I expect Mississippi State to continue their dominance this season, especially with Heisman front-runner Dak Prescott (2089 total yards, 23 total TDs, 4 INTs) spearheading the 9th best offense in the nation (41.8 points per game).

Prediction: Mississippi State 45, Kentucky 27

#14 Arizona State (5-1, 3-1 Pac-12) at Washington (5-2, 1-2 Pac-12)

The Sun Devils and Huskies enter this game with vastly differing momentum, with the Sun Devils coming off a 26-10 win over Stanford and a 38-34 win at USC two weeks earlier on a last-second Hail Mary pass, while the Huskies lost 45-20 to Oregon. However, both teams enter Saturday’s game with uncertainty at the quarterback position, as ASU is still deciding between  returning Taylor Kelly (793 total yards, 8 total TDs, 0 INTs) back from injury, or sticking with Mike Bercovici (1322 yards, 10 TDs, 2 INTs). Meanwhile, Washington starting quarterback Cyler Miles (1167 total yards, 13 total TDs, 1 INT) is questionable due to a concussion, meaning they might have to go with backup Jeff Lindquist, who is a mere 10-of-27 passing on the season.

The Huskies will look to step it up on defense after getting shredded by Oregon the week before. However, the weapons the Sun Devils have on offense, including running back D.J. Foster (984 total yards, 8 total TDs) and wide receiver Jaelen Strong (689 yards, 6 TDs), should give them plenty of options to cause this defense problems for the second week in a row. Don’t count the Huskies out though, especially with the way the Pac-12 has gone this season.

Prediction: Arizona State 28, Washington 24

#22 West Virginia (5-2, 3-1 Big 12) at Oklahoma State (5-2, 3-1 Big 12)

Like the Sun Devils/Huskies game just mentioned, the Mountaineers and Cowboys enter the game headed in opposite directions. West Virginia enters the Top 25 for the first time this season after upsetting then-#4 Baylor 41-27, while Oklahoma State exited the ranks last week after a 42-9 loss to TCU. Mountaineer quarterback Clint Trickett (2525 yards, 15 TDs, 5 INTs) is going through a breakout year, leading the 6th-best passing attack in college football with 361.7 yards per game.

Unfortunately for the Mountaineers, this has all the makings of a let-down game. Coming off a huge win against a top-5 team, they’ll play on the road against a team that will look to right the ship after a blowout loss last weekend to a Big-12 contender. West Virginia has the offense to make it close, but the Cowboys should do just enough to jump back into the rankings.

Prediction: Oklahoma State 35, West Virginia 31

Playoff Bracket (as of Week 9)

#1 Mississippi State vs #4 Notre Dame

#2 Florida State vs #3 Ole Miss

No. 1 ranked Mississippi State has surprised everyone by being the best team in the nation, with three Top-10 wins under their belt already, and looks to be the frontrunner for the #1 seed in the playoff. After narrowly surviving against Notre Dame, the Seminoles should be set to win the rest of their games and secure their spot in the playoff, but their strength of schedule could keep them from getting the #1 seed if there’s an undefeated SEC champ. Ole Miss is looking like a title contender every week, but upcoming games against #5 Auburn and Mississippi State could spell trouble. Notre Dame, despite coming off a loss to the Seminoles, has the best loss of any one-loss team in the country, and have played well enough to secure the final spot.