Top recruit Porter Gustin signs with USC

With National Signing Day on Wednesday, the Trojan faithful are hopeful to seal the signatures of several top high school recruits.

The Trojans welcome   linebacker/defensive end Porter Gustin from Salem Hills High School in Utah, who brings plenty of athleticism and size to front seven. His strengths include instincts, eye discipline, tackling ability, pass rush and block shedding.  At 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, his size enables him to be utilized as both a linebacker and defensive end, and will allow the Trojans to pressure opposing quarterbacks, lockdown short to intermediate passing routes, as well as play stout defense against the run.

His coverage skills could use some fine-tuning as he looks a bit stiff and lacks fluidity in coverage, but this could be attributed to him still growing. Gustin is a highly rated prospect with a college-ready body who could provide great depth for a Trojan defense continuing to transition into a 3-4 defensive scheme.  Gustin chose the Trojans Tuesday over Arizona State and Ohio State, who each made a late push for his talents.

Iman Marshall is one of the most college-ready cornerbacks in the 2015 class. He is a very physical athlete with great size, standing at 6-foot-2, and has the ability to lock down sides of the field.  Marshall excels at jamming receivers off the line to disrupt the timing between the quarterback and the receiver. Additionally, Marshall has great instincts, ball skills and is a    more-than-willing tackler. Furthermore he plays the position with an unquestionable swagger in which he competes and does not shy away from competition.  Some areas of improvement include keeping leverage against opposing wide outs and being too physical with opposing receivers, especially in the Pac-12 where college referees are often eager  to call penalties.  However, with solid Division I coaching, he very well could make an immediate impact for the Trojans, who lead the Wolverines of Michigan, the Seminoles of Florida State and the crosstown Bruins of UCLA for Marshall’s commitment.

Rasheem Green, a defensive line prospect out of USC feeder school Junipero Serra, is anticipated to follow former high school teammates Adoree’ Jackson and Marqise Lee to USC. Green is a mobile 300 pounder with the ability to collapse the pocket and stifle running games. Green’s strengths include his length,    first-step quickness, and ability to shed blockers. With the departure of Leonard Williams, and a showdown against perennial power Alabama looming in 2016, the commitment of a five-star prospect Green is crucial to the Trojan’s plans along the defensive line.

Also from Junipero Serra is Green’s teammate, John Houston. Another athletic linebacker prospect, Houston has the ability to cover receivers, backs and tight ends, which is a real commodity in the Pac-12, where teams tend to spread the field and air it out.  Houston’s length and speed are also impressive; he should transition well to the college game with his ability to run sideline to sideline and contain short passes and runs. If Houston hits the weight room with some vigor, he is slotted to be an effective and versatile linebacker for the Trojans.  Houston, a four-star prospect, looks to continue the strong USC pipeline from Serra.

National Signing Day is tomorrow, and these recruits will reveal which university they will attend.