Love, hate and the human soul

Many prominent realms of academia (the sciences and, ironically, the “progressive” humanities) are ever eager to dismiss considerations of the human soul, and if I were inclined to acknowledge mankind as merely the most evolved in a hierarchy of spiritless beasts, I would have to renounce my fascination with art, with identity, with the distinctly human appreciation of beauty, and with the uniquely human ability to consider our place in a larger world. The ancient truth is that humans are not soulless creatures, and such fact is proven in that we can love, we can create — and we can hate.

We are, however, quick to forget the human spirit when faced with bias and racism. It’s difficult for the media to address something as intangible as corruptions of the heart when tragedies like the Chapel Hill shootings occur. In their secularism, would-be change-makers are left to aimlessly contemplate the situations of society that lead to heinous acts and the circumstances of upbringing that cause human beings to despise one another. The media becomes one great merry-go-round: exhibiting disdain and producing it in turn, a dizzying road leading nowhere.

I am not absolved of the crime of hatred. I feel it almost everyday when faced with injustice, with evil, with the corrupt of our government, but I’m here to tell you that even the most righteous hatred never moved mountains. I previously said that we are human — that we are soulful — because we can hate. Now I say that we are the best of humanity when in the face of hatred, we choose to love.

This is not a sermon — these are the words of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. who still stands today a champion of the people: “Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” I cannot ask you not to be angry when you face discrimination, when you see the distrust in someone else’s eyes because you look different or speak differently, when you see your brothers and sisters killed for being who they are. Anger and rage are your right, but love is our responsibility.

Only when I can look upon those who would hate me with compassion will I become a stronger woman. Only when we can see each other as equal souls in need of kindness will mountains begin to move.

Remaya Campbell is a freshman majoring in film and television production, and NGOs and social change. Her column, “Color Lines,” runs Wednesdays.