3 tips to braving through a feverish cold

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Waking up in the morning with a heavy head, swollen glands and a stuffy nose is definitely a sign that you won’t be having much fun this week.

Sometimes, the common cold can last a mere two days, but it can seem like forever. Classes seem to blur by, soup is your new best friend and the thought of going to a party is downright dreadful.

Common feelings sick people experience:

1. Wishing that their mom could be there to help
  2. Feeling like their life is over
  3. Wishing that school were cancelled.

There are some important steps to take when you are sick.

Sleep. First, it is important to get lots of sleep, not just rest. Make sure to go to bed at a descent hour and take one or two naps during the day. Getting sleep helps your body to restore and rejuvenate.

Hydration. It is also crucial to be drinking a lot of fluids. No, alcoholic beverages do not count. Go to the grocery store and pick up some juice and water. Being well-hydrated helps to replenish the liquids lost through coughing and sneezing. Because the human body is made up of primarily water, it is important to drink enough to keep it moving.

Relaxation. Taking a hot shower or bath can be a big help too. It helps relax the body and release the icky feeling of congestion. If you are lucky enough to have a sanitary bathtub it can turn into a peaceful haven. If this isn’t the situation, steaming your face using a hot bowl of water can do the trick just fine.

And then there are two different types of sick people. The first type is the person who refuses to be taken down by a cold. They still go to class, their internship, and manage to do it without looking like the grim reaper.

The other type of person is the one who moans and doesn’t move a muscle all day. This person stays in bed, watches Netflix and texts their roommate to bring food to the room.

Whichever one you might be, know that pain is only temporary. Hit up the USC Student Health Center if you aren’t feeling any better after a couple days.