Buenos Aires cafes serve as urban oases

Argentines love a good cafe.  A place where they can meet with their friends and loved ones at any time of the day to catch up on life over a cup of coffee and a pastry.  While I cannot say that I’ve found better coffee here than at some of my favorite spots in Los Angeles, I will admit that the all around atmosphere of an Argentine cafe is hard be beat.  The environment, food, drink and culture all come together in the perfect combination that will make cafe visits anyone’s afternoon delight.

There are so many different cafes in Buenos Aires, when looking for one you can’t go wrong.  They can be found on almost any street with both indoor and outdoor seating options depending on the environment you’re looking for.  Some cafes even have a courtyard or upstairs terrace where you can take some time out of the day to step off the busy streets and enjoy a quiet afternoon caffeine boost.

My most recent find has been the cafe at the back of the bookstore “Libros del Pasaje” just a few blocks from my house.  This small shop with floor-to-ceiling books on just about every topic imaginable has the perfect seating area and study space with an overhead skylight.  They also offer a great menu of coffees, sandwiches and sweets — my favorite is the cold brew.

Aside from the atmosphere and menu, the most important aspect that sets the cafes of Buenos Aires apart is the cultural mindset of the people who occupy them — servers and patrons alike. In B.A., most people don’t get their coffee to go, and some places won’t even allow you to.   This, however, is an important part of making these cafes so special.

Argentines run on their own schedule and are hardly ever in a rush to get places on time.  This was a difficult adjustment for me coming from the U.S. where I, along with the rest of Americans, are constantly rushing and complaining about not having enough hours in the day.  Argentines treat their time almost as if they have too much of it.  I have come to love this more relaxed lifestyle and adopted it as my own.  While it will be difficult to readjust to the fast paced North American culture, I have learned that this South American mindset should not be looked at as time-wasting, but rather as living in the moment or making the most of the present.

This mindset is crucial to the beauty of the B.A. cafe.  You will never find a waiter who is rushed to give you the check and turn over the table.  You get to spend as much time in the establishment as you wish and you let the server know when you’re ready to leave. This is why the cafes are such an important part of Argentine culture.  They are places where friends and family come together and spend an afternoon sitting and enjoying each other’s company without feeling rushed like I know I might be in a busy cafe in Los Angeles.  My time spent at cafes in Buenos Aires have been some of my most valuable.  It is in these havens that I have written some of my best essays and strengthened some of my closest friendships.

Alana Victor is a senior majoring in international relations and Print and Digital  Journalism. The column “Troy  Meets World” runs every Wednesday.