If there is one thing I’m good at, it’s being melodramatic. Partaking in musical melancholy is a passion of mine. I shamelessly stare out of windows while sad songs play and pretend that I’m in music videos or standing in the rain during tragic scenes in movies. I plead the fifth on whether or not Natalie Imbruglia’s ‘Torn’ is one of my 25 top most played songs on iTunes.
I find catharsis in sad songs and counterintuitively start to feel happier after listening to them than I do after playing something more cheerful, and evidently I’m not alone. In fact, a survey of more than 770 people conducted by researchers at the Freie Universitat Berlin in Germany revealed that sad music can create a thoughtful and harmonious state of mind for the listener, facilitating contemplation and reflection – both necessary if you ever hope to overcome an emotional rut.
So I hope you consider this playlist Planet Fitness, home of the judgment-free vibes® that can be listened to while scrolling through Tumblr or dry sobbing into your pillow – that’s your own business.
The eclectic range of tracks, from a Miley Cyrus power ballad to the wompy synthesizers of Gallant’s ‘Weight in Gold,’ has been selected in an effort to ensure there is a song for everyone.
1. Blackbear – Idfc (Tarro Remix)
2. Miley Cyrus – Drive
3. NoMBe – Miss Mirage
4. Chet Faker feat. Banks – 1998
5. Chet Faker feat. SAINT WKND – Lover
6. Sky Ferreira – 24 Hours
7. Action Bronson feat. Chance The Rapper – Baby Blue (Prod. Mark Ronson)
8. kiiara – Gold (Hippie Sabotage Remix)
9. jordynleib – Crazy (Jeftuz Remix)
10. Calvin Harris & Disciples – How Deep Is Your Love (Chris Lake Remix)
11. Jaymes Young – Habits Of My Heart (Sufjan Stevens Remake)
12. Major Lazer Feat. Wild Belle – Be Together (Vanic Remix)
13. Gallant – Weight In Gold (Ta-ku Remix)