Shorter books are better for hectic college schedules

There’s a time and place to sit down and read a thousand-page novel, and that’s preferably during a long flight or a relaxing summer. On the contrary, there are also many times when the thought of reading a book that weighs more than a brick is simply intolerable. With the beginning of a new school year, the free time and headspace to read can be greatly reduced, and a little book that can be polished off between classes or picked up for 10 minutes here and there is definitely a more attractive option than embarking on an epic novel. Well, not to worry. These six exquisite books, all under 150 pages, do not take weeks to read and will fit nicely into an overflowing handbag or backpack. They have captured my imagination and stayed with me just as much as books 10 times their size.

1. The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo

At 130 pages, this book is the longest on the list. It is still included simply because of how undervalued and absolutely haunting it is. From the author of Les Misérables comes the tale of a man who has been condemned to die by guillotine in 19th-century France. The book is in the form of a diary, in which the protagonist recounts the psychological effects of knowing he has mere hours left to live. Deeply moving and terrifyingly vivid, The Last Day of a Condemned Man does not fall short of Les Misérables.

2. Bluebeard by Angela Carter

This is an ideal book for anyone who is pressed for time and just doesn’t have the energy for anything too heavy. The book itself is composed of a series of classic fairy tales (think Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood and more), all told with a slight twist. What is so charming and special about Carter’s retelling of these deeply loved stories is her adherence to the quaint, old-fashioned language that most people associate with fairy tales. Each one is so fresh and magical, making this book perfect to pick up at the end of a long day.

3. The Diamond as Big as the Ritz by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is one of Fitzgerald’s lesser-known novels and also possibly the most unique of his writings. It still bears his signature descriptions of opulence and old-money glamor, but this time in a much more sinister fashion. A mixture between a thriller and a fairytale, this novella is definitely worth a read. Fitzgerald has truly let his imagination run wild with a semi-magical mansion set atop a mountain made of solid diamond, where the inhabitants murder their guests to ensure their secret is never revealed.

4. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

This book not only won a Pulitzer, but also was cited as one of the key works that led to Hemingway’s Nobel Prize in 1954. Within the pages of this incredibly short novel is an epic story of a fisherman and his battle with a fish of gargantuan proportions. Hemingway is often praised for his minimalist style, and this novel is an excellent example of it. Every word is absolutely essential to the story, and yet Hemingway manages to say so much in such a beautiful way with absolute simplicity. This is an absolute classic that proves the timelessness of literature.

5. The Stranger by Albert Camus

The Stranger, adopted from the French title L’Etranger, is another classic novel. Camus masterfully tells the story of a French-Algerian man who, following his mother’s death, emotionlessly murders another man. During his trial, it becomes clear that the protagonist is not being judged based on his guilt or innocence, but rather for his apathetic feelings toward the crime. The book raises very interesting questions about the criminal justice system, race and segregation in French-dominated Algeria as well as how a society’s expectation of how an individual should react to a situation can be more important than the truth. Camus is one of the most brilliant and celebrated authors of the 20th century, but his existentialist prose can be a little difficult at times. This is why The Stranger is a perfect read; it is short and can be read in one sitting but will provide the reader with the questions and attitudes that shaped not only literature, but also popular culture and European thought in the years following its publication.

6. Heartburn by Nora Ephron

What makes this book so ideal for reading during a busy day is not just its length, but also its light tone. Though the plot follows the breakdown of a woman’s marriage, Ephron brings such humor to her prose that tears from laughter are guaranteed. It’s easy to see that the author of this book is the same woman who wrote the screenplays for When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle, and crafted such hilarious one-liners and touching moments throughout the films. If that wasn’t enough, Ephron throws some delicious food into the mix with a protagonist who happens to be a cookbook author who blends recipes in seamlessly with the plot.

Kirsten Greenwood is a sophomore majoring in English. Her column, “By the Book,” runs every Friday.