Trojan Trends: Back-to-School edition

Sure, in elementary school — and maybe high school (who am I kidding though?) — I would set time aside to plan out my outfits for the first day of class. I thought this feeling would dissipate once I reached college, but I was wrong. I still make a hazard of my closet before the first day of school looking for something to wear. It seems that every semester the bar gets raised a little higher for on-campus wardrobes. Students were looking noticeably fresh this first week. Despite the 90-degree weather, many students were willing to risk some perspiration for denim and knitted sweaters.

Many outfits I saw gave off the “I just threw this on” vibe. I say vibe because let’s be honest, no one “just throws something on” before the first day of school. I also saw outfits that were elaborate and had obviously been laid out on their dorm room floor the night before. I, too, overdid mine as a freshman.

Height seemed to be a concern for some of the ladies on campus as heels and booties were prevalent. I found this choice to be courageous, not because it was a bold move, but because I can’t keep heels or booties on for more than thirty minutes, save walk to class in them.

A few men on campus were sporting the “I spent my summer backpacking” look with their scruffy beards and braided bracelets. Others were looking crisp in bucket hats and joggers. Several first-years were having an identity crisis mixing their vineyard vines t-shirts with vans. Universally, the men of Troy seem to agree that they can wear anything as long as they keep their shoes fit.

As I stopped some students for their A+ first day looks I began to wonder how they acquired their style. Some mentioned style blogs while others seemed to be following trends. Regardless, USC is making some bold and great fashion choices, so keep it up! Here are some pictures of students that exemplified unique and creative style this first week back.

Francesca Calvo, Junior, Theater 

Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan

Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan

Blake Wagner, Freshman, Critical Studies

Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan

Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan

Samantha Romero, Senior, International Relations

Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan

Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan