Emotion aims to match “Call Me Maybe” success

In 2012, singer Carly Rae Jepsen rose to fame with her explosive hit “Call Me Maybe.” Three years later, Jepsen tries to match her previous success with her third album, Emotion.

The production of Emotion was no easy feat. “We had the biggest single in the world last time and didn’t have the biggest album,” Jepsen’s manager, Scooter Braun, told The New York Times in July. That being said, Emotion was a pleasant surprise — not only because of the overall maturity of the lyrics, but also due to the undeniably addictive ’80s vibe that laces the whole album together.

That’s not to say that there aren’t low points. Some of the songs still croon superficial love, a difficult topic for college students to relate to. In “Boy Problems,” the song starts with “If you’re gonna go then go / She said to me on the phone,” which is reminiscent of Owl City and Jepsen’s sappy “Good Time.” Luckily, songs like “Favourite Colour,” “Warm Blood” and “When I Needed You” tackle the complications of relationships in a more complex manner. “When I Need You” features lyrics such as, “I don’t know what you wanted / I tried to be so perfect / I thought that it was worth it / To let myself disappear.”

The album faintly echoes Kiss, where “Call Me Maybe” found fame. Jepsen’s first single from this album, “I Really Like You,” follows the footsteps of “Call Me Maybe” with its catchy lyrics and similar promotional tactics, both of which included viral lip-syncing videos by fellow Canadian pop star Justin Bieber. Her second single, “Run Away with Me,” however, is a much better representation of the album. Arguably, “Run Away with Me” has the best chance to be the biggest hit on this album. There are clear traces of 80s pop music, making it very trendy, like Taylor Swift’s 1989.

Most importantly, it is apparent why the album was three years in the making.

“I wanted to be able to take my time making an album that felt like every song was there for a reason and had a vital place,” Jepsen told USA Today, when comparing her latest attempt with previous hit songs.

Though Jepsen is in no hurry to step away from her category of pop songs, the album still has so much to offer. Jepsen’s forte in catchy lyrics mixed with the instrumentalization of this album in the most harmonic manner. Her voice has a smooth quality that adds to the enjoyment of the songs.

Though the bridge of “Gimmie Love” or the entire “I Didn’t Just Come Here to Dance” are brilliant moments on the album, none of the songs can be deemed as unforgettable. Jepsen’s overall production would have been particularly resonating had she conveyed her personal experiences on this record. But admirably, Jepsen separates herself from most superstars in the industry. Swift’s personal love ballads and displays of her personality at her concerts and in the media create a connection among everyone in her fan base. Beyoncé sings about female empowerment and pushes her listeners to think about social issues. Jepsen, however, shows little of her personal emotions on this album, leaving a sense of mystery in her listeners. At the root of it, the album is a construction of some great collaborations and some quality songs.

Overall, this album is catered toward pop-music lovers. Those looking for a more personal experience with this album will be displeased. The effort is definitely commendable, and more than anything, it shows Jepsen’s potential to the public. Emotion shows that Carly Rae Jepsen is anything but a one-hit wonder.