How to wear summer accessories all year long

Photo courtesy of favim.com

Photo courtesy of favim.com

Summer break has ended, and most people are being forced to say goodbye to sandals and crop tops. However, warm weather is here to stay in Southern California, which makes varying outfits for the hot weather a year-round dilemma for USC students. Though accessories may seem small and unimportant, it is always the small details that make a huge difference, meaning accessories have the power to either make or break your outfit.

So then, what can students do to spice up their outfits and make a statement, when the thought of even putting on shorts makes you break into a sweat? Since summer is hot and sticky, your last thought would be to throw on some accessories to weigh you down and make things even tougher. However, what you accessorize your outfit with is incredibly important. Don’t go for heavier and chunkier statement pieces, but rather go for something lighter in both weight and design. Choose lighter and simpler pieces that can shine on their own, and in a more subtle way.

This summer’s trends were all about metallic pieces, chokers and athletic wear, and you can definitely continue that into the fall. Metallics have come and gone in terms of popularity, but once again, it’s back, and it looks as if they are hotter than ever. From sunglasses to headbands, it is easy to add a little metallic touch to change your outfit. Designers, from high end to low, are creating these staples. They’re great to compliment summer outfits by adding a little flare and shine.

Chokers are another accessory trend that is making a comeback. Though just the thought of this trend brings up feelings of nostalgia from the ’90s, it is back and better than ever. Chokers are regaining popularity in different materials such a string, metal and cloth.

Another summer accessory trend that was popular over the summer was athletic wear. Earlier in the year we saw sneakers became a fashion staple. Designers are now taking it to the next level, providing athletic-inspired accessories such as bracelets and headbands. Giving fitness outfits a makeover for the fall would help keep this look fresh and on the run.

Southern California weather is great for students who always want to stand out when it comes to fashion. Warm weather calls for bright and bold clothing choices. When accessorizing, think about the entire outfit. If you are wearing simple clothes with neutral colors, then accessorizing with bolder pieces is ideal. Yet be careful not to mix too many bold pieces, which would be too much for the eye. We are lucky to have the majority of the year filled with sunny days here on the West Coast. In other states, students, particularly in the north, are forced to wear darker, more depressing colors during the colder seasons. Fortunately, we have the option of wearing our summer clothes all year long. Though California can get a little colder during the fall and winter seasons, simply throwing on a thin coat or putting on some warm, yet trendy boots, can help you to recycle your summer clothes and accessories throughout the year.