The benefits of taking music classes at USC Thornton

Music to my ears · The USC Thornton School of Music attended the first ever Asia-Pacific Music Summit, held from April 2-5 in Sydney, Australia. -

Austin Vogel | Daily Trojan

The Thornton School of Music is one of the most prestigious and well known music institutions in the country. With a wide variety of classes and a myriad of talented and successful faculty members, the opportunities are endless for budding, experienced musicians.

One of the most interesting aspects of taking a music class at USC is the diverse range of topics within music that one can take. History of electronic dance music is a course that really made me appreciate how many different opportunities there are to explore unconventional topics here at USC. This class, which has been offered since Fall 2013, has since taken the campus by storm. Students can learn about a new era of music that they’re currently witnessing such as the EDM genre, which has garnered much controversy and excitement in the last few years. With unique classes like this one, USC is paving the way in music study.

Students can also take personalized music instruction courses at USC. These classes allow for one-on-one study with an instrument and the professor. Not only do these classes foster a greater relationship between professor and student, but they also allow for a broader experience within students’ individual focuses to help them gain understanding and mastery of theory.

Part of what makes USC’s music studies so great is its successful faculty. USC boasts a few of the most successful individuals in their fields, working all across the globe to create a bright new future for the music world. Andrea Stolpe of the songwriting division of popular music has worked both in Nashville and L.A. with artists such as Faith Hill and Julianne Hough. Vocal arts and opera instructor Shigemi Matsumoto made her opera debut at the age of 22 and has been recognized around the world for her stellar talent. The kind of experience these incredible professors bring to the students is one of both skill and joy that encourages the students to pursue their passions, ambitions and to change the face of the world of music.

Taking a music class at USC is so much more than learning an instrument. Whether you’re a music student or not, there are plenty of class options. Not only is there an array of classes, but the faculty also bring a direct, intimate and transcendent approach to the study of music.