Evolving Style: From Freshman To Senior Year

Freshman year you might pick out clothes the night before class, senior year you can only hope you have enough clean underwear to go to class. Katie Matthews | Daily Trojan

A lot changes from freshman year to senior year. Priorities shift, energy decreases and clothes become more socially acceptable. There are a few dead giveaways to differentiate the freshmen from the seniors. I would like to take a look at classroom outfits as well as going out outfits to show you how to spot the differences.

Perfectly combed hair, no smudged eyeliner and a pleasant aroma are all signs that you are a first year. It’s understandable, freshmen are still making tons of first impressions and meeting new people, so they want to look and smell their best. The female freshmen in your class are likely to be wearing a sort of visible bra-let. High school dress codes prevented these girls from expressing their sense of style in past years, and now that they have their freedom of expression back, they would like to show their undergarments.

If you are thinking, “Hey! I am not a freshman, and I wear visible bra-lets!?” Think back to when you bought that bra-let — you were a freshman. Another freshman trend in the classroom is the crop top. Call me old fashioned, but I stand on a firm belief that your professor should be unaware if you have an innie or outie belly button. It seems that the more midriff you are showing in class, the younger you are.

The seniors in your class are by no means more conservative, but they are less worried about the impressions they are making. They don’t have time to plan out a cute outfit for class and instead throw on whatever they can find. Most often, it is whatever on their floor smelled the cleanest. If you see a senior dressed to the nines in your class wish her luck on her interview, because chances are that is where she’s headed next.

As far as nightlife goes, freshmen can get away with anything. You may never look as good as you do as a freshman so I say go for it! They go sleeveless, pantless, shirtless, you name it. They will make the mistake of wearing heels to a house party, and they will probably make the mistake twice. FYI: It is an unwritten rule that if you are going to wear heels to a house party, only booties are acceptable.

As a senior, you know the first sip of carbonation will make you bloat and you plan accordingly. The most effort you will put into your outfit is a bold lip color. You strive for comfort, and thus can be spotted in loose clothing and Converse. Your comfort will allow you to be confident in socializing because you’re not worried about an outfit disaster. You will say hi to everyone, be the life of the party and still make it home before midnight.

From freshman to senior year, your style never really evolves. You just get more comfortable with yourself.