Ask Tiffany: The value of mental health

Graphic courtesy of tumblr.com

Graphic courtesy of tumblr.com

TiffanyKuanheadshot

Dear Tiffany,

I’m a new student and I’m far from home. I feel depressed, isolated and hopeless right now. Who do I talk to, because my anxiety is out of control and I don’t want to talk to my advisor because I do not want them to look down on me. My thought process is seriously not healthy right now.

Though you feel your advisor might look down on you, if you tell them about your current emotional state, I bet most people would not judge you for it. Mental health issues are more common on college campuses than you might think, especially since many people who suffer from them might not outwardly show symptoms, or feel inclined to talk about it.

Just as you would seek medical attention for a physical health problem, it is equally important to take care of your mental health. At USC, you can call (213) 740-7711 to have an initial consult with Student Counseling Services. An initial consult over the phone helps the counselors determine what treatment options are best for your individual situation. It is discreet and confidential, and is the first step to accessing professional help. More info can be found on the USC Engemann Student Health Center website.

Being far from home in a new place, compounded with personal and academic stressors, can definitely exacerbate depression and anxiety. Regardless of whether you see a counselor just a few times or for years, it is absolutely normal to seek help. With treatment and time, I am confident you will recover. You deserve to live more healthfully and happily. Please talk to a professional about treatment options — there’s nothing to lose!

Tiffany Kuan is a senior majoring in business administration. Her blog advice column, Ask Tiffany, runs every Monday.

Submit your ethical quandaries to tiny.cc/asktiffany, and be on the lookout for sage advice from Ask Tiffany every Monday.