Dorm sweet dorm

A few simple DIY crafts will make your apartment or house at school much more homey. Palak Patel | Daily Trojan

As college students we tend to be pressed for both time and money. All too often we end up faced with a living space that doesn’t really speak to us. Blank white walls and empty shelves might look zen, but the lack of decor can make your space feel less inviting and homey. It’s worth dedicating just a couple hours of your weekend to sprucing up your dorm room or apartment, and turning it into a space that you can really call your own. So round up your roommates, turn up the radio and break out the scissors and glue. It’s time to get crafty on a budget.

The DIY Mirror
Grab a few spare pieces of colorful fabric and yarn, as well as a mirror that you’ve got lying around the house. Cover the edges of the mirror in swatches of fabric, and don’t be afraid to mix up the patterns. However, try to keep the color scheme similar so the design looks unified. Then use your glue gun to create patterns out of the thread, and you’ll be left with the perfect statement piece.

Door Tags
Find a picture of your hometown, or even a dream destination. Then use a photo editing app like BeFunky to add in your name, and a distinctly “you” saying or quote. If you want to mix it up, have your roommate make your door tag while you make theirs.

Indoor Garden
Succulents are some of the hardiest plants out there, and survive well even in the scorching L.A. heat. They come in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes to suit any style, and are incredibly inexpensive. Pick out a few and arrange them on your counter to add a little greenery into your space. And best of all? The succulents won’t die on you even if you forget to water them for a few weeks during finals season!

Tie-Dye Mural
Take a big piece of white cloth, and tie dye it with your three favorite colors. Afterwards, leave it as is or add some graphic designs over the top using a permanent marker. Use a few push pins to secure it above your bed and voilà, you’ve got your very own art piece to wake up to every morning!

Multi-Use Mason Jars
Take a few mason jars and clean them out. Then grab some craft paint and decorate them anyway you’d like (My personal favorite is painted white with gold polka dots). Afterwards, you can display them on your desk or tabletop and use them to store anything from spoons to makeup brushes.

Decorating your space can be much more relaxing, and rewarding, than you might expect. It doesn’t take long, and you’ll be surprised at what a difference it makes in turning your dorm room or apartment into a cozy place that you love to call home.