Apples complement many fall dishes

Matt Damon asked a good question in Good Will Hunting — “How about them apples?” As autumn’s freshest fruit, apples make for an excellent component of any dish, whether it be sweet or savory. Combining complementary flavors, these recipes can help students prepare for the colder weather. They might even keep the doctor away.

Apple Crisps

For a lighter take on America’s favorite dessert, the apple pie, try making an apple crisp. Though this dessert has origins in the Midwest, other fruits can be used in this recipe for a more tropical take. For example, switch out apples for mangoes or pineapples.

– 5 cups peeled, cored Gala apples

– 2 teaspoons white sugar

– ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

– 1 ½ cups brown sugar

– ¾ cup all-purpose flour

– ½ cup softened butter

– 1 cup raisins (optional)

– 1 cup mixed spices (optional)

Serves 6. Active time: 15 minutes; Total: 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place apples in an ungreased baking dish and combine with sugar and cinnamon. Add raisins or mixed spices if desired. Mix together flour, brown sugar and softened butter in a large bowl, and place mixture over apples. Bake until mixture is lightly browned, around 45 to 60 minutes. Serve hot, with vanilla ice cream if desired.

Adapted from Allrecipes.

Crispy Chicken and Apples Salad

Fried chicken might not be the healthiest option, but the Southern food is currently one of the most sought-out food trends, with many restaurants developing gourmet versions. Paired with apples and dried cranberries, the chicken is made more fall appropriate.

– ¼ cup all-purpose flour

– Salt and pepper, to taste

– 1 large egg

– 1 cup panko breadcrumbs

– 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, slightly pounded to even thickness

– 2 tablespoons olive oil

– 1 large head of torn red-cabbage lettuce leaves

– 2 cups dried cranberries

– 2 apples, sliced thinly

Serves 4. Active time: 10 minutes; Total: 20 minutes.

Set up flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs in separate bowls for dredging stations. Whisk one tablespoon of water to egg. Add salt and pepper to panko breadcrumbs. Drench chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Then, place in egg, and finally, in breadcrumbs. In a pan, add olive oil. Fry chicken until done, patting off excess oil. Place lettuce on plate and sprinkle apples and cranberries. Add chicken and desired dressing.

Adapted from Everyday Food.

Apple Chips

Unlike the previous recipe, apples can be a healthy snack by themselves. A better alternative to potato chips, apple chips are easy to make and do not require a fryer.

Simply core one apple, thinly sliced, and place onto an oiled baking sheet. Place into an oven set to 200 degrees for two to three hours until dry but still soft.

Apple Cheese Danish

No doubt, pastries are the perfect companion to a hot cup of tea, coffee or cocoa. Instead of waiting in long lines at Starbucks, prepare an Apple Cheese Danish fresh from the oven.

– 1 package cream cheese

– ¼ cup sugar

– 1 egg

– 1 teaspoon. vanilla extract

– ¼ teaspoon salt

– 2 medium Honeycrisp apples

– 1 teaspoon lemon juice

– 2 teaspoons sugar for apple mixture

– 1 sheet frozen puff pastry

Confectioner’s sugar, for sprinkling

Serves 6. Active time: 25 minutes; Total: 50 minutes.

Combine cream cheese, egg, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, toss apples and lemon juice. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll each pastry strip into squares and portion cream cheese mixture evenly among the squares. Top the pastries with apples. Fold the opposite corners of dough to meet in the middle. Put the pastries on greased pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.

Adapted from Country Living.

Apple-Cheddar Waffle Panini

By now, it should be evident that apples are some of the most versatile fruits. For a different flavor, combine apples with cheese for a sharp contrast in taste. Mustard and maple syrup can also be added to this recipe for a more layered flavor.

– 4 frozen waffles

– 3 ounces grated cheddar cheese

– 1 apple, thinly sliced

– Vegetable oil

Serves 2. Active time: 10 minutes; Total: 20 minutes.

Layer the cheese and  the apple on a waffle. Stack another waffle on top. Lightly oil panini maker and place waffle sandwich. Cook until waffle is golden, turning after 5 minutes. If desired, cut panini in half.

Adapted from Country Living.

Roasted Applesauce

Sometimes, it’s best to return to basics. For an updated take on Gerber’s, this recipe features essential spices that accentuate the sweetness of the apples.

– ¼ cup water

– 6 tablespoons brown sugar

– 1 teaspoon lemon juice

– Pinch of salt

– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed

– 10 Fuji apples, cored and sliced

– ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

– Pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine water, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a baking dish. Add butter cubes in mixture, topping with apples. Bake until apples are soft, 30 to 40 minutes. In batches, blend apples in food processor. Strain to sift out pieces. Heat over stovetop for warm applesauce.

Adapted from Martha Stewart Living