Defense prepares to face Cal quarterback

Guarding Goff · Junior outside linebacker Su’a Cravens began preparing to face Cal quarterback and NFL prospect Jared Goff in practice on Tuesday. - Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

Guarding Goff · Junior outside linebacker Su’a Cravens began preparing to face Cal quarterback and NFL prospect Jared Goff in practice on Tuesday. – Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

If USC wants to achieve its goal of a Pac-12 title, the Trojans cannot afford to lose another game. Consequently, the Trojans practice as if they’ve already put their impressive win against No. 3 Utah behind them, so they can focus on one thing — beating Cal.

“I told these guys that they inspire me. To come off of a big win and then to come out like they did today — there was no letdown,” interim head coach Clay Helton said after practice Tuesday. “It just looks like this team wants to keep getting better.”

USC will travel to face Cal, who will be playing in front of their home crowd after two losses to quality opponents, UCLA and Utah.

“We know what kind of game Cal is going to try to play because they are coming off of two losses,” said running back Justin Davis. “We’ve been in that position before, so we know they are going to be hungry, and they don’t want to go to three straight losses, so they are going to fight. We are going to have to match their intensity.”

Though the Trojans are excited about knocking off the No. 3 team in the nation, they haven’t wasted any time in preparing for their next game.

“We haven’t even spoken about Utah, besides Monday, because we’re on to Cal,” linebacker Su’a Cravens said. “Cal is a tough team that took Utah to the fourth quarter. We have to get ready to play because they’re a really talented team when they throw the ball.”

Unlike last week when the linebacker was asked to stop Utah’s run attack led by Devontae Booker, Cravens will have his hands full in pass coverage against Cal and their star quarterback, Jared Goff. Cravens, a converted safety, said he will be in coverage much more this week and is looking forward to the challenge of competing against the future pro.

“He is the captain of that team, and he’s the potential first pick of the board, so if we get the ball out of his hands and make them run the ball and make their receivers make a play, I think we have the best chance to win the game,” Cravens said.

Rather than being intimidated by Goff’s talent and his potential first-round status, Helton and the Trojans are excited to face such a talented quarterback.

“It is going to be so much fun. You’re talking about two NFL quarterbacks that are going to be on the field Saturday,” Helton said. “[Goff] has had this group of wideouts for a couple of years now, and you can tell that they are on the same page. He is releasing the ball before they are even near open, and he is hitting them unbelievably and with great accuracy. We have a huge challenge this week.”

Helton said quarterback Cody Kessler demonstrated a tremendous amount of poise in USC’s final drive against Utah last Saturday. Helton said that though time was running down and the offense was largely running the ball, Kessler’s timely completions to JuJu Smith-Schuster, which extended the drive, exemplify the benefits of having a fifth-year veteran.

“That is what you want in a senior quarterback,” Helton said. “Just the maturity and the poise that led a group of young men. His body language was great — there was no phase in him about his second center being down. I think he handled it incredibly well.”

Kessler, who threw for 264 yards and a touchdown, echoed Helton’s sentiments and acknowledged that he had gotten back on track after throwing two interceptions against Notre Dame.

“I got the ball where it needed to go,” Kessler said.  “We extended drives, we made huge third downs and we pushed the ball down the field a little bit. And the guys responded great.”

Sophomore Khaliel Rodgers started his first game Saturday as USC’s third center of the season due to injuries to Toa Lobendahn and Max Tuerk.

The return of left guard Chad Wheeler against Cal will be a huge addition for the line. Wheeler, who was out against Utah with concussion-like symptoms, practiced Tuesday.

“Rodgers did such a good job. He was thrown in there, and he came in and started making plays and really leading our group. It was really cool to see,” Kessler said.

Kessler stayed and worked on shotgun and under center snaps with Rodgers after practice Tuesday. But, Kessler said because he’s caught so many snaps, he’ll be able to adjust to whatever Rodgers is most comfortable with if he can continue playing like he did against Utah.

“I was able to jump right in. We practice it all the time,” Rodgers said.

Rodgers has primarily practiced as a guard since spring training but said offensive line coach and run game coordinator Bob Connelly rotates the linemen’s positions in practice, which has made the transition much easier. Consequently, he was less nervous, because he had already worked with Kessler in practices.

“I just grind in practice, and when they called my number, I wanted to go out there and execute,” Rodgers said. “The way they teach us, each lineman has to learn every position so they have got to be ready. When you prepare like we do, you don’t have any doubts. We just work so hard and execute everything in practice so that you expect to be perfect in the game.”

Rodgers added that he has relied on leadership from veterans such as Zach Banner, who preaches that physicality is essential in being the dominant offensive line unit that they’ve expected to be all season. USC’s line was notably active, aggressive and controlling against Utah’s front, which opened holes for running back Ronald Jones II.

USC rushed for 119 yards against Utah. Banner said that the offensive line’s performance was inspired to prove that they could play tough football. And that’s exactly what they love to do.

“Coach Connelly challenged us before the game and challenged me as a leader to be physical,” Banner said. “He challenged me during the game too. He said, ‘We need to make sure we keep going, keeping hitting, and don’t let them get complacent.’ So I brought the guys together, and I looked at them and I said, ’If we do this every single drive, we’re going to win the game.’”

Connolly is proud of how his team has handled being shorthanded and is optimistic about the coming games.

“They played very, very well versus a good football team,” Connelly said. “If you would have told me or asked me at the beginning of the year that we had beat Utah or the No. 3 team in the country — minus three starters on the offensive line and those starters being Chad Wheeler, Max Tuerk and Toa Lobendahn — I’d have told you you’re crazy. It’s extremely encouraging to me and to us.”