10 Things You Wish You Knew Before Going To College

Flickr/Creative Commons

Flickr/Creative Commons

Roommates can make or break your year
When transitioning into college, be open to getting to know your roommates. They can become your closest friends in the years to come. On the flip side, do not be afraid to change roommates if you are unhappy with your living situation.

Winter blues in semester two
Though first semester is a challenging time for transition, second semester can be just as difficult. As the novelty and excitement of your first semester dies down, second semester can catch you as surprisingly difficult. Seek out support when you are missing home or overwhelmed by new challenges.

Nothing is for certain
It is common to enter college thinking you know what you want, only to realize it has changed. If you realize this, be open to the idea of changing your future plans. Look to your academic advisors and professors for guidance if you’re thinking about changing your major or switching classes.

Transferring is normal
It is normal to change your plan along the way. If you are unhappy with your school, do not be afraid to change universities. For example, USC welcomes hundreds of transfer students each year.

Study time, but the livin’ ain’t easy
Allotting time for studying is crucial, even if it is just a GE. Regardless of the course, you are paying to be at school and, therefore, you might as well apply yourself.

C’s do get degrees
Though studying is important, getting a bad grade is not the end of the world. Maintaining a balance of working hard and enjoying yourself can be beneficial. Balancing the two can be done, but remember to sleep!

Never fear the professor
Professors have office hours to help you, as well as to get to know you. If you’re at a competitive university like USC, hopefully your professors will have worked extensively in their field. Therefore, they can be helpful in helping to plan your future plans, whether it’s advice about what classes to take or helping you secure an internship or job.

The Freshman 15 does exist
This is most likely the first time you are living on a budget and away from your parents, both of which can impact your eating habits. Eating healthy and exercising can benefit you more than you know.

Find your own “family”
You can find your community in various places on campus, whether it’s greek life, a sports team or a club. These connections can last a lifetime. There are 43,000 students at USC; the odds are in your favor to find at least one good friend.

Time flies when you’re having fun
You only go to college for a limited time so take advantage of being a Trojan. These years are not only some of the greatest, but also prepare you for the many experiences to come.