Ask Tiffany: Hiking away from mukbang nightmares

Samantha Lee | Daily Trojan

Samantha Lee | Daily Trojan

TiffanyKuanheadshot

Dear Tiffany,

What are the best hiking spots you’ve been to in L.A./within a two-hour radius of L.A.? I want to get my hike on, but I’m a newbie to this whole being fit thing.

Not going to lie, I avoided answering this question for a long time because I didn’t want to encourage increased traffic at my favorite hiking spots. After giving it another thought, I realized that my mom and the three other people who might read this post probably will not spill the beans to the world. Behold, my top three hiking recommendations in and around Los Angeles.

1. Murphy Ranch is a good beginner hike that takes you into an eerie, abandoned settlement (allegedly built by neo-Nazis) by way of a long staircase straight down the side of a mountain.
  1. The hike to Devil’s Chair winds around Devil’s Punchbowl to a beautiful lookout over the desert. It is 7.5 miles roundtrip, and is rated as Moderate.
  1. Cave of Munits is an impress a date/friend-from-home kind of hike. It involves climbing through caves and scaling giant rock formations, but it is not difficult.

Dear Tiffany,

What do I do if my roommate watches mukbang (a Korean eating show that shows people eating insane amounts of food) 24/7? I’m afraid she wants to eat me in my sleep.

— Afraid of being eaten

After some light research, it doesn’t appear that mukbang stars encourage cannibalism, so I think you’re good for now. Be more concerned if she starts exhibiting dilated pupils and delirium.

Tiffany Kuan is a senior majoring in business administration. Her blog advice column, Ask Tiffany, runs every Monday.

Submit your ethical quandaries to tiny.cc/asktiffany, and be on the lookout for sage advice from Ask Tiffany every Monday.