Class Registration: No major? No Problem

Registering for classes when you are undeclared can be confusing. Make sure to talk to your academic advisor for advice. Emily Goldberg | Daily Trojan

So you’re still figuring out what you want to do with your studies during your time in college. Being undeclared myself, I didn’t have a clear direction of what I wanted to study when I first enrolled at USC. This was especially problematic because I didn’t know which courses would benefit me when I first registered for classes. For all the undeclared majors out there, this article will offer helpful tips on the types of courses to select if you are unsure about what type of career want to pursue.

1. Fulfill university requirements
As an undeclared major, the easiest way to choose your classes is to take a couple General Education courses or a Writing one. By doing so, you’ll be able to get your required courses out of the way early on. This will also allow you to have enough time to take classes that will eventually count toward your declared major.

2. Take classes that interest you
College is the perfect time to explore what subjects you’re truly passionate about, especially if you have never learned about the subject before. Try taking at least one course that sparks your interest but you know nothing about. Often times, colleges offer classes that you won’t be able to find anywhere else. A new topic may also influence which major you ultimately declare. 

3. Talk to your academic advisor
In retrospect, one regret that I have was not communicating with my academic advisor enough freshman year. Academic advisors are a really helpful resource when you are uncertain about which courses are appropriate for you. In addition, they can also recommend courses for you to take if you simply don’t have any idea about what you want to learn about. If you ever feel uncomfortable with your registered classes, set up an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss your situation. They’re only one phone call away.

4. Be open-minded
One of the biggest misconceptions about college is that you must stick to a set plan for the next four years of your life. A majority of students end up switching majors, or even applying to other professional schools at some point during their college career — and that’s OK! By taking a diverse range of courses, it will help you discover what you really enjoy, and it gives you other options in case your original plan doesn’t work out.

Being undeclared can be the most confusing and stressful time as a college student, but you still have a lot of time to decide your career path. However, these tips will be helpful in deciding which courses to take in the upcoming semester and will hopefully relieve some of that stress.