Troy Camp’s Pass the Can collects donations Saturday

For the kids · Sophomore Mary Richardson, left, and junior Andie Furber, right, pose with milk jugs used to collect donations during Saturday’s game.  - Photo courtesy of USC Troy Camp

For the kids · Sophomore Mary Richardson, left, and junior Andie Furber, right, pose with milk jugs used to collect donations during Saturday’s game. – Photo courtesy of USC Troy Camp

Students passed milk jugs around the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum during Saturday’s Homecoming football game against Arizona while donating funds to support local kids in the community. The drive was a part of Troy Camp’s annual Pass the Can fundraiser.

Founded in the 1970s, Pass the Can is one of Troy Camp’s oldest fundraising traditions. The money raised from Pass the Can goes directly toward sending elementary school students to a week-long summer camp in the San Bernardino Mountains.

This year, director of fundraising for Pass the Can Lauren Jacobs contacted a variety of sponsors and different student organizations to help out with the event.

“We’ve been planning Pass the Can since June by reaching out to various people on and off campus,” Jacobs said. “Without the help of small businesses, student volunteers and the Athletics Department, this wouldn’t have been possible.”

In addition to using social media, Jacobs also spread the word through simple word of mouth.

“Many Troy Camp counselors are involved in other clubs as well, so we relied on them to raise awareness about the event,” Jacobs said. “This year we had about 1,200 volunteers sign up to collect donations from people in the stands.”

In addition to bringing volunteers to the game, Troy Camp also brings local youth to give them the experience of a college football game. Claire Chatinover, director of yearlong programming, said local youth enjoy being part of the event.

“The kids love coming to Homecoming because they get to see their friends again and cheer on our football team with pom-poms, megaphones and posters,” Chatinover said. “They also get to see the passing of the jugs firsthand and the impact it has across the stadium.”

For the 20 minutes that the jugs are passed around during halftime, Troy Camp can get up to $25,000 in donations. Volunteers wearing “Pass the Can” t-shirts work hard to spread the word about Troy Camp and the programs they provide for students in South Los Angeles.

“It’s really an incredible scene to watch,” Jacobs said. “In just 20 minutes, over 90,000 people are suddenly aware of the organization that we are so passionate about, and they take part in making a difference.”

Every penny from Pass the Can goes toward funding Troy Camp’s summer camp at the end of the year. Counselors and students get to spend a week participating in archery, horseback riding, swimming and other fun educational activities.

“For many of the kids, it’s the first time they will get to see stars,” Chatinover said. “We are so grateful to the USC community for helping out and giving the kids an opportunity like this.”