5 awkward moments we’ve all experienced

Well, this looks awkward. Alexa Edwards | Daily Trojan

Awkward situations are, well, awkward. Whether it be an accidental or anticipated scenario, we find ourselves in awkward situations more often than we would like to. That sinking feeling in your stomach when you misinterpret what someone says, or when you do something clumsy in front of someone you like is obviously something we actively try to avoid. Interactions with others, especially new people, are difficult to participate in without the “awkward” component. However, there are always ways to navigate social situations that can make them less of a chore.

1. Being left alone with a friend of a friend
Everyone is familiar with that feeling of panic when you are left alone with your friend’s friend only moments after meeting them. To take out the phone or not to take out the phone, that is the question. Do not take out the phone. Use the opportunity to get to know this person. After all, you do share a mutual friend and it might even alleviate the pressure on your friend to break the ice between you two. Skip the “What’s your major?” question and try asking if they have seen your current favorite TV show.

2. Crashing into a biker, skateboarder or pedestrian
Regardless if you are the biker, the boarder or the pedestrian, a crash between any of you — or all of you — is usually pretty embarrassing. Whether you were the cause of the crash, or if you were just a victim, a way to break the awkwardness is assuring that everything is okay. If you crashed into someone, just apologize (even if it was a pedestrian walking down a ramp). If you were crashed into, apologize as well (even if the biker definitely saw you beforehand). More often than not, a crash can usually be avoided, but small spaces and short reaction times can yield this result. The faster you walk away, the faster you and everybody else will get over it.

3. Seeing your crush when you’re not looking your best
Given the never-ending stream of midterms throughout the semester, it is highly likely that this will happen at least once or twice. There are two options with handling this situation: fake your confidence, or run away. If you fake your confidence enough, eventually it will start to feel real. Imagine that you look as good as you normally would, and not only will you trick yourself into forgetting what you look like that day, your crush might take notice as well. If you want to avoid bringing any attention to yourself, as stated before, just run away!

4. Walking the same direction as the person coming toward you
If only the little dance between two people both walking right, and then left, and then right again was as romantic as it is awkward. A general rule of thumb is walking to your right. If you walk right and the person coming toward you also walks right (their left), walk right again as they should naturally go the opposite direction. If you both move right again, just stop moving and let that person pass.

5. Running into someone you hooked up with
This is pretty dependent on your personality and the situation. If you forgot to get this person’s number, this can be a chance to try and get it. If you don’t want to speak to this person, but you also don’t want to be rude, don’t feel obligated to say hi unless you make eye contact. This is something that’s pretty avoidable overall, but if you have to step up to the plate, just act normal so they will act normal. Chances are, they are probably internally freaking out as well.

From the icebreakers at orientation to the networking events in the latter half of college, how to gracefully introduce yourself to a stranger is something you should learn before we step into “the real world,” and will remain important even after we enter it.

See it as practice and a chance to improve your social skills, l rather than a spotlight on your social shortcomings. We all have some awkwardness within us, so embrace it.