Fun in 2-units or less

Consider taking a fun elective next semester, like surfing. Flickr/CreativeCommons

Consider taking a fun elective next semester, like Surfing. Flickr/CreativeCommons

While most USC students will only have to take 16 units each semester in order to graduate with a degree in four years, filling in the remaining two units covered by tuition with a fun class can really add some excitement to the regular drone of major and General Education classes. Whether the two units are placed toward a high-energy physical education class or a relaxing songwriting class, in two units or less, an elective class can substantially reduce your stress throughout the week. Check out some of these great two unit classes to spice up your schedule next semester.

1. Surfing (PHED 115)
Tired of disappointing your out-of-state friends when you tell them you don’t surf even though you live in Southern California? This one-unit class runs through the Dornsife Physical Education Program, and will teach students fundamental surfing and swimming skills in beautiful Santa Monica. With the beach as your classroom, you will learn about wave and forecast interpretation with regard to surfing and finally acquire a non-stereotypical account of surf culture.

Surfing is offered on Fridays at 8 a.m., 10 a.m. and 12 p.m.

2. Hip-Hop Dance (DANC 185)
Hip-hop culture is all around us, yet many people may not know the roots of hip-hop music and dance. In this two-unit class, you will learn the fundamentals of hip-hop dance ranging from popping to locking to breaking. Freestyling is not only encouraged, but required. Take this class to grace the dance floor at your next party with moves that deviate from jumping up and down and fist pumping.

Hip-hop dance is offered Monday and Wednesday at 2-3:20 p.m., Monday and Wednesday at 5-6:20 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday at 3:30-4:50 p.m., Friday at 10-11:50 a.m. and Friday at 12-1:50 p.m.

3. Visual Effects (CTAN 462)
Want to learn the how-to of production for popular and traditional visual effects in film? Visual Effects will walk you through an introduction to the process of visual effects development while you study techniques and examples of visual effects throughout the evolution of film. You’ll run visual effect circles around movies like Troll 2 after taking this 2-unit course.

This class needs D-clearance, but if you qualify the class is offered Monday at 7-9:50 p.m. and Friday at 1-3:50 p.m.

4. “Introduction to Adobe Photoshop” (ITP 090x)
Move past the mediocrity of Instagram and VSCO filters and hone in on your Photoshop skills with this two-unit class. Learn to take photos and edit them digitally to enhance or completely transform an image into a new picture. Skills learned in this fun two-unit class could be transferred to graphic designs for clubs or extracurricular activities, social media or just personal art.

“Introduction to Adobe Photoshop” is offered Monday at 3:30-6:50 p.m., 5-7:50 p.m. and Tuesday at 5-7:50 p.m.

5. “Improvisation and Theater Games” (THTR 122)
Take this two-unit improvisation theater class that will push you out of your comfort zone while having a few laughs. A class filled with both theater and non-theater majors, this class will be an excellent stress-reliever from a busy week and help you with interpersonal skills in everyday life.

“Improvisation and Theater Games” is offered Monday at 2-3:50 p.m., 4-5:50 p.m., 6-7:50 p.m., Tuesday at 4-5:50 p.m., Wednesday at 2-3:50 p.m., Thursday at 4-5:50 p.m. and Friday at 2-3:50 p.m. and 4-5:50 p.m.

6. Songwriting (MUSC 255)
We can’t all be famous musicians, but this Thornton School of Music class will set you up with the fundamental skills you need to write and compose your own music, whether it is for your own personal playlist or a video or presentational project. Additionally, you will be given the opportunity to analyze popular music composition and relate popular music trends to what you learn in class.

Songwriting is offered Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 4-5:50 p.m.