KXSC begins raising funds for KXSC Fest this spring

KXSC, USC’s independent, student-run radio station, is once again gearing up for its annual KXSC Fest with an Ignite USC Fundraiser.

KXSC Fest is a popular event that has occurred in the spring at USC for the past seven years. With the promise of live music, art and film, the event attracts crowds from both the USC and greater Los Angeles community.

Unlike most Program Board concerts, however, KXSC Fest is a festival event. With a more diverse and up-and-coming lineup that includes bands across many different genres, KXSC hopes to attract a wide variety of people and encourage local USC and L.A. talent. In the past, KXSC Fest has featured artists like Flying Lotus, Thee Oh Sees, Nosaj thing, STRFKR, Dan Deacon and DJ Rashad.

“Our goal is really to find the future of music and bring it to USC,” said Liana Wertman, KXSC general manager.

In addition to the live music, KXSC Fest creates a festival vibe by engaging students with student art installations, live painting and food trucks. KXSC Radio provides a supportive community for creative expression that extends beyond just the music.

Last year, the KXSC Fest featured a “Digital Detox Lounge” modeled after the “Disconnect to Reconnect” space at the Outside Lands music festival in San Francisco. It was a device-free zone filled with bean bag chairs and inspiring decorations meant to promote interaction without technology.

KXSC Radio provides students with hands-on broadcast experience, promotes Los Angeles culture and broadcasts the sounds of USC to the world.

Alex Zhang, KXSC head of development, said the radio station stands by its broadcasting multiple genres.

“KXSC Radio represents a community that is inclusive,” Zhang said. “We don’t discriminate against any sort of music and take huge pride in retaining that culture. [KXSC Radio] is about people who love great music coming together to share music.”

Initially, KXSC Radio relied entirely on school-sponsored funding through the Undergraduate and Graduate Student Governments and the Political Student Assembly. Starting in 2013, however, the organization encountered financial hardships because of reductions in funding coupled with increases in prices. That same year, KXSC launched its very first fundraiser which, like KXSC Fest, has become an annual tradition.

College radio stations have been facing program closures throughout the country due to declines in funding. KXSC is determined to not let this happen at USC. Wertman said any donation will help support the festival.

“To make sure we can put on KXSC Fest this year, we need help from our listeners, friends and from the Trojan Family,” Wertman said. “We’re currently trying to raise $10,000, and any donation we can get makes a serious difference in what we are able to create for KXSC Fest.”

With the help of the donations from the Trojan Family and nearby communities, KXSC has been able to survive and thrive for the past several years, hosting some of the biggest and best KXSC Fests USC has ever seen, in addition to expanding its own broadcasting and programming.

During the entirety of their fundraiser, KXSC will be broadcasting 24 hours a day to make sure that the Trojan Family and greater L.A. community can tune in to see what student-run radio is all about. The Robot, KXSC’s mascot, will also be around campus handing out flyers and dancing with students.

KXSC has currently raised $1,587 towards their goal of $10,000 through their Ignite USC  fundraiser. Donations will be accepted until January 1, 2016. Donors can pledge between five and 500 dollars to claim various prizes and giveaways.