With dropping temperatures, try hot chocolate recipes

Though the weather outside in Southern California is never truly frightful, the holiday season invokes the consumption of hot beverages, particularly hot chocolate. The drink features easy-to-assemble ingredients, yet allows for a wide variety of combinations. Unlike coffee or tea, hot chocolate injects holiday spirit as everyone counts down to Christmas.

Basic Hot Chocolate

Most of the hot chocolate variations begin with a standard recipe, but the milk can be switched out for soy or almond milk for a   vegan alternative. Additionally, for those craving a richer drink, melted chocolate bars or chips can be used instead of cocoa powder and sugar.

-½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

-¾ cup sugar

-1 pinch salt

-½ cup boiling water

-3 ½ cups milk

-¾ teaspoon vanilla extract

Serves 4. Active: 5 minutes; Total: 7 minutes.

Combine the cocoa powder, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Pour in boiling water. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring for about two minutes, making sure the combination does not scorch. Turn off heat and mix in milk. Remove from heat and add in vanilla. Divide the hot chocolate between four mugs.

Adapted from AllRecipes.

Peppermint Hot Chocolate

Peppermint, one of the classic holiday flavors, goes hand-in-hand with chocolate. Building from the basic hot chocolate recipe, gather whipped cream and candy canes. Crush the candy canes until they become peppermint dust. Top off the hot chocolate mugs with generous amounts of whipped cream, finishing off with the peppermint dust.

Sea Salt Caramel Hot Chocolate

Another flavor that pairs well with chocolate is caramel. The salt contrasts the sweetness of the chocolate and adds another element to a traditionally treacly drink. Using whipped cream again, gather the cream into a bowl. Gently whisk in a teaspoon of sea salt and the caramel topping of your choice.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

Inspired by the sweet-and-spicy combination popular in Mexico, this hot chocolate recipe features chili powder and cinnamon to liven up the drink. For those who cannot tolerate spicy foods, opt for just the cinnamon, as the spice will add heat to the drink without burning your tongue.

-1 tablespoon chocolate syrup

-1 pinch chili powder

-½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Using the basic hot chocolate recipe once again, mix in the chocolate syrup, chili powder and ground cinnamon in the saucepan. A pepper can be used to dress the drink.

Lemongrass Lavender White Hot Chocolate

For an elevated spin, add herbs such as lemongrass and lavender to your hot chocolate drink. Though the most indulgent option in these recipes, these ingredients are actually particularly helpful in relieving stress. Though milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate also works with the drink, white chocolate is the ultimate complement to these out-of-the-box flavors.

-1 small stalk lemongrass,      chopped

-½ teaspoon lavender

-1 lime leaf, torn in half

-zest of one lime

-3 ½ cups whole milk

-3 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped

In a small saucepan, heat lemongrass, lavender, lime leaf, lime juice and milk over medium heat. Stir occasionally until bubbles form on the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes. Strain milk, and return mixture into saucepan. Add chocolate over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the chocolate is evenly combined.