Alumnus creates new job recruiting website

Seniors who are looking to land a full-time opportunity after graduation, meet HireTeamMate, Inc., a virtual job recruiter that was co-founded by alumnus Shuo Wang.

In March 2015, Wang received an invitation from co-worker Steven Jiang to create a startup in the Bay Area. Both Wang and Jiang had been working at Samsung as software engineers until they decided to collaborate and build an automated recruitment site.

“HireTeamMate is not LinkedIn or AngelList — it is a unique hiring platform for job referral,” Wang said. “Using big data and artificial technology, we put the recruiter on the cloud and help employers save precious time and money.”

Before candidates are even passed on to the hiring team, HireTeamMate filters out unqualified applicants. This process eliminates the need for in-house recruiters and essentially decentralizes the traditional recruiting system.

Director of Media Relations Hannah Tran also shared that the company just released a new recruiting software on New Year’s Day.

“Our new release represents the first peer-to-peer hiring platform of its kind,” Tran said. “It allows job seekers to add their profiles to a data hub of existing job listings, and it especially helps those who are looking for jobs in the startup community.”

The new version will include a Startup Hub, which provides a product discovery blog as well as reviews of every startup’s team. This development is intended to improve job relevancy and lead to quicker, more efficient hires.

Jay Hasegawa, a senior majoring in economics, is eager to try out HireTeamMate because of its direct access to employers and hiring teams.

“With graduation approaching, I want to find something that matches the experiences and skills I’ve developed at USC,” Hasegawa said. “HireTeamMate seems like a very helpful and convenient resource because it is available for people who are seeking a variety of positions.”

Since the company’s launch, HireTeamMate has received 72,000 applicants and almost 13,000 resumes have been reviewed by hiring companies. Even more impressive is the fact that 86 percent of applicants who secure on-site interviews have been hired afterwards.

Wang attributes this success rate to HireTeamMate’s algorithms and the way it has transformed recruiting.

“Think of HireTeamMate as the Uber for hiring,” Wang said. “Employers post job positions, hiring teams provide referrals, and talent scouts discover top candidates — and we simplify and accelerate the recruitment process.”

As the CTO of the company, Wang’s long-term goal is to turn HireTeamMate into a virtual recruiter that thinks like a human and provides hiring solutions for not only startups but also big firms. His advice for college entrepreneurs to reach their goals is to concentrate on the big picture.

“Try to solve the real problems in your life,” Wang said. “Don’t focus on making money or becoming successful in the short-term.”