Tennis fights off Florida, remains unbeaten

The No. 8 men’s tennis team maintained its undefeated season and moved to 3-0 on the year after outlasting No. 20 Florida in a tight match in the Pac-12/SEC Showdown. Big play from the Trojan freshmen secured the match.

The Trojans were scheduled to play Georgia on Sunday in their second match, but inclement weather prevailed. The match was canceled and will not be rescheduled.

While the sun was still shining on Saturday, the Trojans and the Gators battled at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in Westwood. USC would go on to win the match 4-3.

The Men of Troy were able to take the early lead after they won the doubles point. The No. 3 spot on the roster, the team of junior Rob Bellamy and freshman Jake DeVine, powered to an early 6-2 victory.

The win was complemented by the unranked team of senior Max de Vroome and freshman Jack Jaede, who upset the No. 40 team in the nation with a score of 7-5. With two of the three matches already in USC’s favor, play was suspended between the No. 1 teams that were still playing.

Sophomore Thibault Forget, playing from the No. 6 spot, gave the Trojans a 2-0 advantage in the match with his 6-3, 6-0 win. USC then took a 3-0 lead behind the play of freshman Logan Smith. Smith is ranked No. 69 in the country and beat Florida’s No. 63-ranked Chase Perez-Blanco 6-3, 6-1.

From there, USC would lose the next three singles matches, and Florida tied the match 3-3. No. 1 singles player and No. 115 in the nation, de Vroome lost to Florida’s Diego Hidalgo, ranked No. 31 in the country, 4-6, 3-6.

No. 41 in the country, junior Nick Crystal, also dropped his match, losing to No. 49 Elliot Orkin 3-6, 4-6.

The tying match came when Florida’s Gordon Watson beat Jaede in two close sets, 6-7, 5-7.

The Trojans prevailed behind No. 83 DeVine who battled No. 91 Alfredo Perez and won in two tight sets, 7-6 (6), 7-5.

The Men of Troy will now turn their attention to next Saturday when they will have a double-header. USC will host Grand Canyon and LMU at Marks Stadium at 10 a.m and 2 p.m. respectively.