Larry Ellison to speak at commencement

Oracle’s Larry Ellison was confirmed on Wednesday as the commencement speaker for the 133rd graduation ceremony. Around 60,000 people are expected to attend commencement.

Ellison launched tech giant Oracle in 1977. The company develops and markets database software and technology. Ellison stepped down as CEO in 2014 to become the executive chairman and chief technology officer.

Ellison is also a philanthropist and sports enthusiast. The Lawrence Ellison Foundation,  among other philanthropic efforts, supports biomedical research on aging and age-related diseases and disabilities.

Away from his professional pursuits, Ellison races sailboats and runs one of the world’s largest tennis tournaments. Ellison has financially backed the Oracle Team USA sailing team and brought the America’s Cup back to the U.S. Ellison also acquired the BNP Paribas Open, the fifth largest tennis tournament in the world.

“I think life is a series of acts of discovery,” Ellison told USC News. “We’re all interested in our limits, what we can accomplish in life and in discovering our own limits, we might find that in sport, we might find that in business. I think we’re always looking to discover new things about each other and about ourselves. I look forward to speaking with the Class of 2016 as they embark on their own journeys to seek out their limits and their accomplishments.”

Around 15,000 degrees will be conferred during commencement, either at the main ceremony in Alumni Park or at one of several satellite ceremonies. The event takes place at Bovard Auditorium starting 8:30 a.m. USC President C. L. Max Nikias will preside over the main ceremony at 9 a.m. in Alumni Park on May 13.