Kendrick Lamar: The contemporary voice of America

Photo courtesy of NRK P3, Flickr

Photo courtesy of NRK P3, Flickr

Kendrick Lamar didn’t just walk away with five Grammys after the 58th Grammy Awards show. This past Monday, Kendrick put on an awe-inspiring performance that LL Cool J deemed “controversial” prior to his showcase. He narrated an empowering story that speaks to the underlying social issues regarding racism within our generation.

The chains and cell bars that were introduced at the beginning of Lamar’s performance immediately stunned the audience. His sophisticated dance techniques, along with his stage presence, validate his passion for conveying his message through his music and dancing, as demonstrated at the Grammys.   

tumblr_o2n75gNWRK1r3kmkso3_500

It’s no question that Lamar deserved the honors of Best Rap Album and Best Rap Song. Lamar’s live representation of this political message encapsulates the body of work that he raps about in his second album To Pimp a Butterfly. He sings about the oppression of the African race in the modern day context, and further translates these personal stories into artistic masterpieces. The music video for his renowned rap song “Alright” brought Lamar on the forefront of online media because of the cinematic elements used in documenting the historical and ongoing struggles of African Americans. Lamar replicated the visual symbolism in the music video onto the main stage Monday night when he performed “Alright” by incorporating the bonfire and swift body movements.

Lamar’s performance piggybacked Beyoncé’s cultural references in her new music video “Formation.” By displaying historical artifacts of African American culture and sharing personal narratives, Beyoncé and Lamar both articulate the voices of the oppressed through their art.

Kendrick Lamar isn’t the voice of a single rapper. He’s the voice of millions.