The Oscars 2016: Red Carpet Recap

The Oscar’s is the pinnacle of red carpet events in the land of fame and fortune. It is “the denouement” of all red carpet events and all red carpet coverage, according to The New York Times. Last night, celebrities pulled all the stops for a coveted spot on the best-dressed list. See the red carpet trends that either put celebrities on top or fell flat.

Snow White

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Snowy-white dresses dominated the red carpet last night at the 88th Academy Awards. Lady Gaga was a show-stopper, rocking a one-of-a-kind sleek Brandon Maxwell jumpsuit. Olivia Wilde resembled a modern-day Cleopatra in a revealing white pleated Valentino number, complemented by a silver choker. Rooney Mara floated down the red carpet in this intricate Givenchy lace button up with a diamond panel. Priyanka Chopra sauntered down the red carpet with confidence in this sexy sheer Zuhair Murad number.

Black Isn’t Back

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Back to Black? Maybe not. These starlets donned the red carpet in pitch black garbs that just fell flat in comparison to the dazzling whites and vibrant colors. Jared Leto and Amy Poehler attempted to spruce up their plain black ensembles with bright garish details: Leto opting for a gaudy rose instead over a classic bow-tie to complement his Gucci suit while Poehler wore an Andrew GN black cape dress adorned with sequined butterflies and flowers. J-Law’s layered Dior Haute Couture Gown washed her out, while Kate Winslet’s shiny Ralph Lauren drew unwanted attention.

Less Is More

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

These celebrities graced the red carpet in gorgeous sumptuous gowns in a myriad of colors, demonstrating that less is truly more. Charlize Theron stuns the crowd in a striking red Dior Haute Couture Dress with a plunging neckline.  Rachel McAdams is the picture of perfection in this jewel toned August Getty Atelier Gown with a sultry slit detail. Meanwhile, Olivia Munn looked absolutely sublime in a warm one-shoulder Stella McCartney number.

Double Vision

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Red carpet spectators briefly experienced some serious red carpet déjà vu, with stars donning strikingly similar ensembles. Henry Cavill and Eddie Redmayne both walked down the red carpet looking quite dapper in black velvet blazer ensembles, complete with bow-ties. Meanwhile, Tina Fey and Reese Witherspoon both attended the 88th Academy Awards in almost identical royal purple strapless gowns. If you thought having the same dress as another girl at prom was your worst nightmare, try the Oscars red carpet.