Vance Joy brings Fire to Los Angeles audiences

Australian singer-songwriter Vance Joy performed at the Shrine Auditorium as a part of his The Fire and the Flood Tour.  Joy and his band, consisting of three other members, have been touring North America since January and will continue throughout March, until they head to Australia in April.

“L.A., it’s good to see you, welcome to the Fire and the Flood Tour,” Vance Joy announced as he opened the show.

The venue doors opened at 7 p.m., and after waiting in a long line outside, people rushed in to get as close as possible to the stage. Before Vance hit the stage, he had two opening acts. Jamie Lawson performed first, giving the audience a mellow vibe playing love songs on his acoustic guitar. Following Lawson was Elle King, known for her hit song “Ex’s & Oh’s”, who rocked it out on her banjo and performed with her ever-so-powerful voice.

Vance Joy finally took the stage, opening with “Mess Is Mine”. A sea of cellphones rose up instantly to take photos and videos of the huge backdrop consisting of “Vance Joy” in marquee lights and Vance himself center stage. Vance played songs from his Dream Your Life Away album, a few off of his EP God Loves You When You’re Dancing, and also surprised the audience with a few others, including OMI’s “Cheerleader”. The younger crowd sang along throughout the night as Joy’s beautiful voice filled the auditorium. The whole crowd was packed tightly together, standing for the entire show. Vance introduced certain songs by explaining why he wrote them, and would then dive right into performing it. Of course, “Riptide”, Joy’s most popular song, was a crowd-pleaser. Orange and red concert lights flashed as all of the good vibrations were felt. He tried to act like the show ended with that, but we all knew he couldn’t get away without playing the song his tour is actually named after. So, back on stage he went, performing “Fire and the Flood”, along with a couple of others, allowing the show to last just a little longer. The simplicity of Joy’s performances, matched with his original voice, allowed for a spectacular night of music not to be forgotten.

Vance Joy is an Australian songwriter who is signed to Atlantic Records. He had the opportunity to open for Taylor Swift’s 1989 world tour in 2015. If you’re a Vance Joy fan, or into the indie-folk-pop genre of music, Joy’s newest song, “Straight Into Your Arms,” is worth listening to.