Women’s lacrosse nets two more home wins

The women’s lacrosse team continued its outstanding start to the season, defeating Michigan and Vermont at McAlister Field. The Women of Troy demolished the Wolverines on Friday, 13-4, before downing the Catamounts, 18-7, on Saturday.

The defensive unit legitimized the team’s No. 11 national ranking by holding a talented Michigan team to just four goals on Friday afternoon.

Senior defender Courtney Tarleton scooped up four ground balls and forced three turnovers. Tarleton also had a pair of draw controls. The veteran anchor at the back helped guide the team to a convincing win, but the play of netminder Gussie Johns was also instrumental. Johns stopped seven shots and continued to look commanding between the pipes.

Senior attacker Caroline deLyra, who had a goal and five assists in the game, praised the defense after the victory.

“I think our defense is just really committing to our game plan,” deLyra said.

Communication at the back is essential in order to combat dynamic offensive teams like Michigan. The Wolverines had speedsters all over the field, which head coach Lindsey Munday had to account for in the game plan.

“They’re extremely fast and athletic,” Munday said.

Munday explained that the defenders had to get their feet moving defensively in order to slow down the Michigan attack. She praised her defense’s camaraderie and communication.

“They’re working really well as a unit,” Munday said. “It’s definitely all seven defenders plus our goalie who are just communicating.”

This Michigan team was aggressive, but USC’s excellent ball movement proved to be too much. The team’s work on the training ground is going a long way.

“I think we just are focusing on ourselves and just focusing on our own plays and game plans and going really hard against each other in practice,” deLyra said.

This group battles in practice. They also obviously work on perfecting their defensive organization.

“I think defensively we were kind of unbeatable,” junior attacker Michaela Michael said. “It was really awesome. I think our zone confused them a lot.”

The offense went to work as well. Junior attacker Michaela Michael found the back of the net five times, gliding past opposing players. Her blend of power and finesse has been a handful for every team USC has faced thus far.

“Offensively I think we just were patient and waited for opportunities,” Michael said.

Senior midfielder Amanda Johansen bagged a hat trick in the win. She marshaled the middle of the field throughout the afternoon and kept Michigan at bay with her work at both ends of the field.

After dismantling Michigan, the team hosted Vermont. USC led 11-4 at the break and cruised to victory, with eight different players scoring for the Women of Troy.

The Trojans’ next match will be against Stony Brook next Monday at home.

resolve and scored three unanswered goals to draw within one midway through the first half.

That was as close as the visitors would come.

USC led 11-4 at the break and applied the pressure in the second half as well. The team cruised to victory. Eight different players scored for the Women of Troy, which proves that this team has remarkable depth.

Against Vermont, Michael increased her season tally to 18 goals. She had 88 goals in her first two seasons with the team, and the junior is only getting better.

With seemingly no major weaknesses, this team has star players all over the field.

“We tried to just use everyone that we had on our team,” deLyra said. “We have a really stacked offense, so I think that’s really good for us and really beneficial that we have so many people that can put goals away.”