Springfest 2016 promises exciting lineup

USC Concerts Committee, part of the Undergraduate Student Government’s Program Board, will host Springfest Saturday in McCarthy Quad. The event is in collaboration with the Environmental Student Assembly, Trojan Pride Committee and Special Events Committee.

An annual all-day music festival, Springfest runs from  2 p.m.  to 11:30 p.m. In the past, it has brought artists such as 2Chainz, Portugal. The Man, Walk the Moon and Katy Perry to USC.

“This is going to be the biggest and most exciting Springfest that we’ve ever produced at USC,” said Judah Joseph, Concerts Committee director. “In a way, preparation for this Springfest began immediately after last year’s. With the Welcome Back Concert to Conquest, my team and I have learned along the way, and we’ve applied that to making Springfest the best it’s ever been. From rock to hip-hop to EDM, we’re extremely proud of the diverse lineup we’ve put together for the USC student body.”

This year’s lineup does not disappoint and is set to include Los Angeles-based indie band Kid Cadaver, rapper Cozz, R&B musician Jeremih and headliner Jamie xx. Jamie xx is an electronic music artist from London who has taken off in recent years in the EDM scene. His latest album, In Colour topped the Billboard Dance/Electronic Album chart, and he recently played two dates at the Shrine Auditorium. There is more to the lineup, which will feature four more artists, but USC Concerts Committee has yet to announce the final performers on the bill.

In addition to showcasing musical artists, the event features vendors, food and art. Springfest brings in food trucks every year, with this year’s options including The Boba Truck, Border Grill Truck, Jogasaki Sushiburrito, The Grilled Cheese Truck and King Kone. In addition, this year Concerts Committee has created a new area of the festival called GREENHAÜS, a “geodesic dome” that will feature live music, yoga, meditation and more, and will act as the second Springfest stage. Performers at the second stage will be various USC DJs including Jynjo, Matt Dimona, Massi and more, and the stage will also be home to guided meditation led by BreatheSC, Geodesic Yoga and a Virtual Reality Panel among other things.

Students will need a USC ID to enter and are allowed to bring one guest with government-issued ID. McCarthy Quad will open at 1:45 p.m., and the music will begin at 2 p.m.