Students, DPS chase down, apprehend thief

A 23-year-old man stole three laptop computers at USC Monday at noon and was arrested by Department of Public Safety officers after attempting to flee down Trousdale Parkway while being pursued by DPS and three bystanders.

The suspect stole two laptop computers from Leavey Library and another from the Ronald Tutor Campus Center. DPS was notified at noon about the latter theft, obtaining a description of the suspect and his location. However, when a DPS officer approached the suspect, who was sitting on the steps of the Student Union, the suspect fled on foot.

Although the officer tackled him on Trousdale Parkway near Moreton Fig, the suspect got back up and continued to run toward Exposition Boulevard. A staff member and two students pursued the suspect. A third student tackled the suspect north of Exposition Boulevard, allowing the staff member to detain him.

DPS arrived on the scene minutes later, along with the Los Angeles Police Department Southwest Division and Los Angeles Fire Department Station 15. Ambulances were also present and gave medical assistance to the suspect, who complained of asthma and trouble breathing, and the DPS officer, who sustained minor injuries. Both were transported to local hospitals for treatment. The three laptops were recovered at the scene.

The suspect, who is from Long Beach and has no USC affiliation, was taken into custody by DPS.