Australian artist Flume transforms electronic music with album Skin

On May 27, Australian electronic music producer and artist Harley Streten, better known as Flume, released his sophomore album Skin. The electronic album features 16 tracks that create a chaotic but uniform mood. Flume’s production embodies a surface-level sound that listeners can hear, but captures one’s inner being through melodies and vibrations.

The album begins with the track “Helix,” which features a calming flute that gradually merges into Flume’s familiar and signature sound. The heart-palpitating track sets a precedent for the remainder of the album. Skin builds on relaxation and calmness until it breaks to form chaos, moving away from a set and standardized sound.

The following track “Never Be Like You,” utilizes synth progressions and first-person lyrics to illustrate the vulnerability of being in a committed relationship. Featured artist Kai sings about having a “fickle-minded heart,” but is desperately begging for forgiveness.

Flume’s capability as a musician is heard throughout this album. The diversity Flume features in his assortment of all-star collaborators (ranging from Tove Lo, Beck and Vince Staples, to name a few), genres and sounds establishes a strong groundwork for Skin. His innovative musical approach can be heard in not only this album, but also his debut album Flume.

While most tracks are beautifully composed, some album highlights include “Numb & Getting Colder” featuring Kučka. Others include “Innocence,” which has a certain authenticity through its vinyl-esque sound, and “Wall F**k,” which contrasts the former and its distorted high-pitch sounds with dense beats. Though Flume doesn’t stray from his distinctive sound, each track is markedly different from the other. He successfully explores a broad spectrum of intricate complexities to create unique, and sonically cohesive sounds.

Skin also touches on the essence of youth and innocence. “When Everything Was New”  sends a message about childhood wonder. It is a simplistic song with a powerful underlying message, featuring the sound of an elementary school classroom in the background. The song embodies the pureness of children and the days of adolescence.

While the album name Skin projects visions of flesh and externalities, it is a metaphysical representation of the soul. Skin is about transcending beyond what one typically sees -— it’s about expanding one’s mind to countless possibilities and being open to the world around. Flume’s album is for wild hearts and wild minds. It’s for listeners to find comfort in their own skin and soul.