USG set to host promising Welcome Back concert

As the fall semester begins, USC’s Welcome Week will be highlighted by its annual Welcome Back Concert. Welcome Week begins with move-in, a pancake breakfast, several involvement fairs and other programs to kick off the new year. The concert is one of several major concerts that USC hosts for students, free of charge for all students. For the Class of 2020, the concert will be its first university-wide event.

The event, organized by USC Program Board’s Concert Committee with assistance from Campus Activities, will be held on Aug. 20 on McCarthy Quad. Along with the concert there will be a carnival, food trucks and other sponsors celebrating the start of the new school year. The Welcome Back Concert expects around 5,000 attendees each year and has hosted several famous musical artists in the past, including Cashmere Cat, Post Malone, KR, Robert Delonge, R3hab and more. Daily Trojan caught up with  Zoe Willis, USC Concerts Committee co-director, to talk about one of the year’s most anticipated events.

DT: What are some of this year’s goals for the Welcome Back Concert?

Zoe Willis: The goal of the Welcome Back Concert is to give students, especially freshmen, an exciting memory to start the school year and the opportunity to build new friendships through an exciting on-campus event. We always aim to bring new, exciting talent to campus in addition to fun activations, sponsors and food.

DT: What artists are performing this year?

ZW: I can’t give details but there will be two acts. The reason we can’t announce the lineup far in advance is because it often takes weeks for contracts to be executed on both ends. We legally cannot start promoting the artists until the contracts are fully executed. I can say, however, that the two acts we have are very different from each other but will both create a very fun atmosphere. One of them we’ve been wanting to book for a while now, so we’re excited it’s actually happening.

DT: What time do you recommend students to come and what to bring and not to bring?

ZW: Full, up-to-date details will be posted on the Facebook event. The quad opens at 5:45 p.m. for opportunities to browse our vendors, eat yummy food from our food trucks and explore our lounge. Students should not bring professional cameras, large bags, drones, hoverboards or outside food/beverages, but they should remember to bring their student ID.

DT: What kind of food and beverages will be available at the location?

ZW: Boba Truck, The Grilled Cheese Truck, Los Lobos and one more to be announced soon.

DT: How were the bookings for the artists done?

ZW: We work with our executive board and general committee to compile a list of artists we’re interested in. We have a list of over 300 artists just from last year. We look at things such as when they’re releasing a new project, their tour schedule, popularity on streaming platforms, public profile etc. We then reach out to agents at the various talent agencies we have relationships with and find out how much the artist costs and if they are available the date we need them. From there we have more discussions with our committee, narrow down the list, send an offer and negotiate until we have our artists locked in.

DT: How can students get involved with Concerts Committee or other USC student organizations that helped organize this event?

ZW: Concerts Committee always loves new faces. Once school is in session, applications will be posted on our Facebook and website for opportunities getting involved in areas such as hospitality, sponsorships, graphics, experience and more.