Women’s lacrosse goalie named to national team

The accolades keep coming for a women’s lacrosse team still in its infancy but already making an impact on the national stage.

The latest comes with sophomore goaltender earning a spot on the U.S. national lacrosse team, announced Aug. 7, the first Trojan to do so in the program’s four years of existence.

Gussie Johns will be one of five goalies on the 36-player roster to represent the U.S. in 2017. She has backstopped the Women of Troy for the season, earning MPSF All-Conference Second Team honors her freshman year.

Last season, Johns was one of the best goaltenders in the country, leading the nation with her 6.04 goals-against average. In 20 starts, she went 19-0 and was tied for the MPSF lead with 49 ground balls per game. She was the MPSF Defensive Player of the Week twice and a vital contributor to the nation’s top defensive team.

Head coach Lindsey Munday was the captain of Team USA in 2013 — a year when the team clinched a world championship.

“We are so proud of Gussie,” Munday said. “Not only is she an immense talent, but she is an incredible person who embodies the attributes of a Trojan. She puts the team before herself and works incredibly hard both on and off the field. This selection to the national team could not be more well-deserved and is a proud moment for her, our staff and the USC program.”

Also representing USC on the team will be associate head coach Devon Wills, making the team for the ninth time, and assistant coach Alyssa Leonard, who is making her third appearance. Wills already has two championships under her belt, including being named World Player of the Game in 2013.

The team was announced after a three-day tryout at the national team training center in Sparks, Maryland. There were 105 players from around the country selected for the tryout. Seniors Courtney Tarleton, Kelsey Dreyer and Amanda Johansen and junior Michaela Michael were also invited from USC.

Team USA coach Ricky Fried said the field was talented and tough to narrow down.

However, the field will be sliced in half to 18 players by the time actual competition starts for the national team. The team of 36 will train for the Federation of International Lacrosse Women’s World Cup next year in Guildford, England.