Dornsife poll places Trump ahead of Clinton in election

Donald Trump, the Republican Party’s presidential candidate, is ahead of Democratic party candidate Hillary Clinton for the first time since the beginning of August, according to the Los Angeles Times/USC Dornsife Presidential Election Daybreak poll results released on Monday.

The poll, which has been ongoing since July 10, shows that as of Monday, Trump has the support of 44.6 percent of those polled, while Clinton has the support of 43.5 percent.

Support for Trump had declined from 44.6 percent on the Aug. 4 to 42 percent on the 14th, after which it started slowly climbing to surpass Clinton on the 20th.

Last week, Trump’s campaign manager Paul Manafort resigned. Since then, his successor, Kellyanne Conway, has stated that Trump is reconsidering his stance on illegal immigrants, which has been the backbone of his campaign since he started his presidential campaign.

Among millennials, Clinton leads by a 0.5 percent margin, while Trump leads among those aged 35-64 and those 65 years of age and up.

Additionally, support for Trump is higher among those without a college degree in comparison to those who attended and graduated from college.

The poll “is a probability survey that will provide a best estimate of how America plans to vote in the November election,” according to Dornsife News. It is part of the “Understanding America Study” currently carried out by the Dornsife Center for Economic and Social Research, the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics and the Los Angeles Times.

Participants in the poll are randomly selected. They represent the United States’ diverse demographics.

Every day, participants in the poll answer the same three questions. They are asked to rate, on a scale of 0-100, the chance that the participant will vote in the presidential election. They must then respond with the chance the participant will vote for Clinton, Trump or another candidate, as well as whether they believe that Clinton, Trump or another candidate will win.