Tune View: Carly Rae Saves The Day

Hey, Daily Trojan readers!

My name is Allegra, and I host Radio Gumball on KXSC, a weekly show devoted to new and local music. I also book concerts at USC and around LA, and am in an indie rock band that plays shows and releases music.

Basically, I live and breathe music, and at a certain point it gets to be too much inside my head and I have to let it all out and tell other people about all the awesome stuff going on in LA and around the world.

So this column, Tune View, will be a biweekly roundup of everything new and cool in music— that is, my specific favorite areas of music, because I don’t claim to be musically omniscient.

I’ll try to keep a focus on USC events and musicians as well, as there are so many talented students and alumni as well as amazing events featuring them on- and off-campus.

New Releases (Past 2 Weeks)

Carly Rae Jepsen – Emotion Side B

Carly Rae, queen of pop, has delivered unto us a magnificent companion to last year’s divine EmotionEmotion Side B, contains 8 tracks’ worth of candyfloss bops that, even as B-sides, are better than 90% of the actual pop album material being released.

LIYL (Listen If You Like): Ellie Goulding, J-Pop, living your best life

Glass Animals – How To Be a Human Being

You probably heard “Gooey” from Glass Animals’ last album when it was all over alt radio a couple years ago, and you’ve probably been hearing “Life Itself” (their new album’s title track) all over alt radio all summer. Their full sophomore album is out now, and it’s worth a full listen— a blurry and blissed-out maze of ropy synths and reverberating vocals, creating surreal scenes with ease and agility.

LIYL: The Avalanches, Alt-J, taking LSD in a jungle while eating Cheetos

Young Thug – No, My Name is JEFFERY

The 21st century’s resident court rap-jester has released his new mixtape, whose title is a reference to his birth name (Jeffery Lamar Williams) and whose striking cover features the artist stunting in Italian unisex couture. Young Thug’s infectious delivery and melodic production makes for the perfect late-summer soundtrack.

LIYL: Future, Travi$ Scott, going tf off

KAYE – Honey EP

Though she’s recently found sucess as the lead singer of San Fermin, Charlene Kaye has always had a knack for empowering, catchy solo material that hits the sweet spot between grunge and pop. Her new EP under the moniker KAYE, Honey, is 17 straight minutes of feminist fire.

LIYL: Ingrid Michaelson, Shura, singing into a hairbrush in front of a mirror

Miya Folick – Pet Body

If you’ve never heard of Miya Folick, now’s the time to get acquainted. Judging by the fevered reaction to each song she releases and the growing crowds at her tiny shows, she’s going to be the next big thing in alternative music. Her new single “Pet Body” is a rollicking, raucus 60s-style punk jam featuring some truly indelible imagery.

LIYL: Mitski, Torres, getting sweet revenge on everyone who’s ever hurt you

Upcoming Concerts (Next 2 Weeks)

Zipper Club w/ Nova Darlings @ The Satellite Mon, 8/29

Zipper Club’s debut single “Going The Distance” was produced by The Smashing Pumpkins’ James Iha, and it is very good. They rock the last night of their Satellite residency with USC pop band the Nova Darlings. Free show!

vōx @ Skybar Mondrian Tues, 8/30

LA resident Sarah Winters’ musical project vōx (pronounced “wokes”) is making some serious vibey waves. She just played the Play Like A Girl showcase at the Echo, and now she’s playing the hoity-toity Mondrian’s Tunesday series. Free with RSVP!

KNOWER, Thumpasaurus, Max Ox @ YONI Fri, 9/2

It’s all going down at YONI. KNOWER is the most searing band to ever emerge from USC’s jazz program, and Max Ox is a VERY close second. And Thumpasaurus will follow closely behind once they graduate. $5 at the door.

Rough And Rushed Fest Sat, 9/3

It’s a festival on a rooftop, what more could you ask for? Some really great bands are gonna tear it up— most notably Kid Cadaver, Ramonda Hammer, and Tennis System. $15 in advance, $20 at doors.

Beating Lights Presents: Kaleidoscope Sunday Sun, 9/4

This backyard day party, presented by USC grad Shabnam Ferdowsi’s music collective Beating Lights, is described as “A DIY Community Arts and Music Fair.” There’ll be bands (incl. Tomemitsu, The May Company, and Goldensuns), interactive art stations, free beer, and more! Free and all ages.

Bird & Thorn, Night Talks, Bird Concerns, Tone in Georgia @ The Hi Hat Weds 9/7

The Hi Hat never fails when it comes to weeknight local indie rock gigs. Two of my all-time favorite LA bands, Night Talks and Tone in Georgia, share the stage with two avian-named groups (one of whom, Bird & Thorn, is celebrating their album release). 18+, $5.

Deep Sea Diver, Gothic Tropic @ The Bootleg Sun 9/11

Deep Sea Diver’s electrifying and intense Secrets was one of the best indie rock releases this year. They play the cozy Bootleg Theatre, with the fantastic Gothic Tropic opening up the show. 21+, $10.

Allegra Rosenberg is a junior majoring in media arts and practice and minoring in music industry. Her column, “Tune View,” runs every other Sunday.