Trojans engage in competitive first practice of the week

In their first practice since a 52-6 drubbing at the hands of No. 1 Alabama Saturday, the now unranked Trojans struggled to keep their focus on the field in advance of their upcoming home opener against Utah State this Saturday.

Nick Entin | Daily Trojan Competitive spirit · (From left) Redshirt senior offensive lineman Zach Banner and redshirt junior quarterback Max Browne were engaged in a very competitive practice, said head coach Clay Helton on Tuesday.

Nick Entin | Daily Trojan
Competitive spirit · (From left) Redshirt senior offensive lineman Zach Banner and redshirt junior quarterback Max Browne were engaged in a very competitive practice, said head coach Clay Helton on Tuesday.

On-the-Field Distractions

Junior wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster was involved in a physical altercation with a few defensive players. This was after Smith-Schuster left the field in frustration and was brought back by head coach Clay Helton and offensive coordinator Tee Martin.

“We’ve got a mad football team right now,” Helton said. “I wish we could play today to be honest with you.”

Helton described Tuesday’s practice as ultra competitive and was not worried about the actions that Smith-Schuster took on the field.

“JuJu reminds me of Marquise Lee, two of the most competitive men I’ve ever seen in my life,” Helton said. “When you have that much passion and competitiveness sometimes it spills over.

Scuffles happen in football practice, but we’re all brothers out here.”

Additionally, sophomore inside linebacker Osa Masina and redshirt sophomore defensive end Don Hill practiced on Tuesday, as permitted by the University, although neither will play against Utah State.

In the trenches

The offensive line was highly criticized after Saturday’s performance, in which the Trojans rushed for only 64 yards.

Helton blamed missed assignment cues and a lack of physicality as the main reasons for the offensive lines’ struggles. Redshirt senior right tackle Zach Banner also noted the competitive nature of the practice and the fact that everyone was willing to get to work following the tough loss.

“Everyone was here getting the extra lift in on Sunday, rather than waiting until Monday,” Banner said. “We had almost 70 players lifting Sunday afternoon and then after that, watching film. Loving up on each other, and getting ready to come out this week.”

Injury Report

Helton clarified the status of players who were injured in Saturday’s game as well as during practice.

Sophomore defensive tackle Noah Jefferson did not practice due to a shoulder sprain and Helton was unsure whether or not he would be available against Utah State.

Senior inside linebacker Quinton Powell was sick and did not practice Tuesday.

Redshirt senior tight end Taylor McNamara suffered an injured ankle during practice that Helton described as “not too bad.”

Junior center Toa Lobendahn was also held out of practice due to some swelling on his non-surgically repaired knee, but Helton did not express too much concern.

Helton expects redshirt junior defensive tackle Khalil Rodgers to return to action late this week after suffering a hamstring injury.