USC’s five keys to defeat Utah State

The USC football team and its opponent this Saturday, the Utah State Aggies, are two programs coming off of completely different opening weeks of play.

USC just suffered the largest season-opening loss in school history last week, falling to No. 1 Alabama, 52-6. Meanwhile, the Aggies enter the Coliseum coming off of a 45-6 victory over Weber State last week.

While Utah State is considered one of the easier games in USC’s gauntlet of a regular season schedule, the Trojans should be prepared for a gritty battle against the Aggies. In its overall series against Utah State, USC has defeated the Aggies by an average margin of victory of 37 points. However, in the 2013 season, a Cody Kessler and Marqise Lee-led USC squad escaped its matchup with Utah State with a narrow 17-14 victory.

Following the debacle that was week one against the Tide, there are several key areas of improvement and execution which the Trojans must hone in on for this week’s contest with Utah State, including:

USC’S OFFENSIVE LINE NEEDS TO REBOUND

Entering the 2016 season, USC’s experienced offensive line was projected to be one of its stronger assets.

With a new starting quarterback behind it, the USC offensive line failed to contain an aggressive Alabama pass rush on multiple occasions last week. Redshirt junior quarterback Max Browne was hit and hurried continually against the Tide and sacked three times.

While the line’s struggles were a collective effort, much of the Trojans troubles up front came at the tackle positions. Redshirt senior tackle Zach Banner — who is considered a possible first-round pick in next year’s NFL Draft — struggled as he surrendered a sack, a quarterback hit and four quarterback hurries individually. On the opposite side, sophomore tackle Chuma Edoga — starting in place of injured redshirt senior tackle Chad Wheeler — had his shortcomings as well, missing blocking assignments on several occasions.

Run-blocking was also an issue for this offensive line, especially early on. USC only managed to muster six rushing yards in the first half of last week’s loss to Alabama.

This veteran line needs to rebound and affirm the national acclaim it was receiving in this preseason.

ESTABLISH THE RUN

Last week, the Trojans were held to 64 rushing yards on a total of 30 attempts — an average of 2.1 yards per rush. Keep in mind that 46 of these 64 yards on the ground came on one run — a 46-yard rush from sophomore running back Ronald Jones in the third quarter.

Throughout Fall Camp, offensive coordinator Tee Martin and head coach Clay Helton preached that they would set up their offensive passing attack through an effective rushing scheme, though much of last week’s problematic run effectiveness can be credited to the offensive line.

With highly touted running backs such as senior Justin Davis and Jones sharing the backfield, USC has all the potential to excel on the ground. Davis and Jones — who combined for over 1800 yards on the ground last season — must put on a solid performance Saturday to secure a win over the Aggies.

STOUT DEFENSIVE LINE PLAY

The Trojans are facing a Utah State team who rushed for 428 yards in its win over Weber State last week. Aggie senior running back Devante Mays rushed for 208 yards and three touchdowns in the victory.

While he only tallied two tackles on the stat sheet last week against Alabama, redshirt senior nose tackle Stevie Tu’ikolovatu was a solid anchor at the line of scrimmage — filling up gaps and occupying blockers. Sophomore defensive tackles Rasheem Green and Noah Jefferson will need to aid Tu’ikolovatu in his run-stuffing duties up front on Saturday.

The play of this Trojan defensive line will be pivotal in USC’s containment of Utah State’s rushing attack.

BROWNE MUST TAKE CONTROL

This Saturday will be a prime opportunity for Browne to take control of the Trojan offense and to affirm Helton’s decision to name him the starting quarterback.

Browne was relentlessly harassed by the Alabama defense last week and was prevented from getting the ball to USC’s plethora of playmakers on offense. He was held to just 101 yards through the air on 14-of-29 passing, also throwing an interception which was returned for an Alabama touchdown in the second quarter.

After splitting snaps with redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Darnold in the second half last week, Browne needs to lead this Trojan offense to a productive performance on Saturday to solidify himself as the starter.

ESTABLISH THE EDGES

When Clancy Pendergast was named the defensive coordinator for USC this season, many anticipated an aggressive defensive scheme from the Trojans. Pendergast’s “5-2” defensive scheme revolves around edge-rushers who can put pressure on opposing offensive backfields.

Last week, junior linebacker Uchenna Nwosu and sophomore defensive end Porter Gustin failed to penetrate the Alabama backfield consistently. While Gustin did record a rather quiet  nine tackles, Nwosu recorded only one tackle against the Tide.

Gustin and Nwosu’s ability to establish a forceful rush off the edge this week will be crucial in preventing Utah State’s successful running of the ball.