Osa Masina removed from USC following suspension

Osa Masina, who is involved in multiple sexual assault investigations, has been removed from USC, attorney to his attorney - Photo courtesy USC Sports Information

Osa Masina, who is involved in multiple sexual assault investigations, has been removed from USC, attorney to his attorney – Photo courtesy USC Sports Information

Sophomore linebacker Osa Masina has been removed from USC, his attorney said on Tuesday. The announcement comes just hours after it was announced that Masina and teammate redshirt sophomore Don Hill were suspended from all football activities.

The two reserves are being investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department for sexual assault but have not been charged.

“He’s now been removed from the school all together, not just the football team,” Salt Lake City-based attorney Greg Skordas said. “He’s not allowed to practice. He’s not even allowed to be on the campus.”

Skordas said Masina was informed of the University’s decision on Friday and has since returned to his family in Utah.

Earlier on Tuesday, head coach Clay Helton announced that both players would be suspended from the team.

“Under the University’s further guidance, it has been decided that they have been suspended from participation with our football team,” head coach Clay Helton said Tuesday afternoon.

Masina and Hill were not allowed to play in either of the Trojans’ first two games this season but were practicing with the team and permitted to attend team meetings.

USC released a statement addressing the players’ suspension from the football team.

“Based on additional information obtained by the University, Osa Masina and Don Hill have been suspended from participation with USC Athletics and the football team,” the statement said. “To protect the rights of the students and comply with federal privacy laws no other details will be provided.”

Masina was served with a search warrant that allowed police to collect his iPhone and DNA samples on Aug. 25. He was suspended from the team’s season opener on Aug. 29 for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Hill traveled with the team to Arlington for their season opener, but was sent home and did not play.

Masina is also under investigation in Utah for a separate sexual assault case involving the same woman.